Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: All chemicals in check except acid

1. Back To Top    #1

All chemicals in check except acid

Pool looks good, I have the test kit I bought from TFP and everything except for my acid level is checking out good. I've been adding about 3/4 of a gallon a week for the past 3 weeks. Yesterday, I added a whole gallon around 6pm, then today I checked it and it's still in the dark purple range of 7.8 to 8.0. My buddy has a similar sized pool (both are salt water if that matters) and he only adds about 1/2 gallon a week. Any ideas on what could be going on? Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: All chemicals in check except acid

post a full set of test results please
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

You got it. I have them written down at home and will do it tonight.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like your pH is really high, and you haven't added enough to get it down.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

That's what I thought, but the local pool store said adding 3/4 gallons for 2 weeks then 1 gallon the next week and testing the following day should have lowered the PH by now. Just didn't want to keep adding it if there's something else going on.

6. Back To Top    #6

We could give you a much better answer with a full set of water test results. Chances are your TA is really high, which is driving up the PH, but that is just guessing without knowing your actual numbers.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

When I took over the chemicals from the pool service last winter, I was astonished at how much acid I had to add. It took a 10 lb pail of dry acid and another gallon of liquid acid to get the color to change on the test block. And then even more to get it in range. Then there was all the aeration from the spa combined with our brutally hard water in California to use up some more.

It's very similar to doing a drop test, really. You add and add and add and no change then it starts to move and seems like it takes forever, then one magic drop and it all changes at once.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Here are my test results:

FC 1.5
    CC 0
    TC 1.5
    pH 8.2 (looked a little higher)
    T/A 170
    CH 270
    CYA 60

Thanks again.

9. Back To Top    #9

Your TA level is high, and was presumably much higher before. High TA levels tend to cause the PH to rise, the higher the TA level the faster the PH will rise. Once you get TA down the rate of PH increase will slow dramatically. You should take a look at the How To Lower Total Alkalinity article in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you.

11. Back To Top    #11

Doesn't really have anything to do with pH but your FC is pretty low even for a SWCG. You're asking fo trouble if it stays that low for long.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Your TA is definitely a problem. If you have water features that aerate the water, that could be a contributor as well. Things like spa spillovers, waterfalls, and bubblers all cause the pH to rise.