Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE filter backwashing

1. Back To Top    #1

DE filter backwashing

I have a Pentair DE filter, 80 SQ ft.and Variable pump, Pentair VS 3050, 22000 gal pool, inground.
    After backwashing the DE filter, how much DE media should I add back ?
    It seems that the pressure on the filter gauge varies with the speed of the pump, so which speed would accurately reflect the true pressure of the filter ?

The Arcadian Dragonfly
    20,000 Gallon, vinyl IG with sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

Re: DE filter backwashing

There is A chart on the filter with how much to use Although I usually use half that amount and the filter still works fine. Use the full speed pressure as a guide
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

It's recommended to add about 2/3rds to 3/4ths the initial charge after a backwash.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you very much
    The Arcadian Dragonfly
    20,000 Gallon, vinyl IG with sand filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

Next time you have a bout of insomnia or the cable goes out, give this a read.

Have fun with your pool!
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Cape Coral, FL

I have a similar Pentair DE filter-although 60ft3. Make sure you get a good backwash-using as a high a pump speed as possible will aid in flushing. I for one follow the practise of 'backflush' until the bullseye is clear-then shift to 'rinse' for 10-15sec, then back to 'backflush', and at least 4 of those cycles. I then reload DE after venting the filter to ensure full of water, and I load the recommended amount of DE (for me its 6lbs) via one of the skimmers with full pump flow. When I winterize, I always take apart the filter and pull the grids to ensure no DE in the bottom (never found any), and I also wash off the cloth grids.

Using this method, I have never found any excess DE material laying in the bottom of the filter can. Some people suggest loading less than spec on the DE amount to ensure no buildup of DE, but I have found with thorough back-flushing at a high pump flow, I do not get any buildup-this method may use some additional water.

My pump is a single speed 2hp pump for a 29000 gal pool. My DE press empty of DE is 22psi and 23psi full and I replace the DE every 30 days.
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing