Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Kroger lump charcoal

1. Back To Top    #1
    Tucson, AZ

Kroger lump charcoal

Decided to give the Kroger brand lump charcoal a try. Seems to work about the same as any other I've tried, but with one big difference - less broken up! Every other bag of lump charcoal I've tried has consisted of about 40% lumps, 30% tiny shards, and 30% dust. This is almost all lumps!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: Kroger lump charcoal

MITS, thanks for reminding me of Kroger - it's been about 25 years since I've shopped at one
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Macon Ga

Try Royal Oak which makes the Kroger Brand also and you can buy it in Wal Mart.
    18X38 Grecian 26000 gallon In Ground Vinyl. Goldline AuqaRite SWG with a 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Triton 2 Sand Filter Two main drains with 4 main returns with 2 more returns on the swimout and two skimmers. Polaris 380

4. Back To Top    #4
    Missouri City (suburb of Houston, TX)

I just tried the HEB store brand for the first and last time! I bought the large bag and after ONE use, there is nothing left but little pieces and dust. There is no way I could do a slow cook with this stuff.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

5. Back To Top    #5
    SouthWest Alabama

I've used the Royal Oak lump for my DO cooking and it works really well. The bags don't contain too much dust. It's easy to move it around to get the heat just right.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit