DIY install backfill ?.........

vin001

Jul 10, 2010
Hi, I have been reading a lot of the threads on here....great site. My question is what material are people using to backfill their vinyl liner pools, and how long they are waiting for it to settle. Of course no one ever wants to wait for setteling, one concrete guy told me to wait 2 months, but if a pool builder installs your pool is does not take 2 months until complete right?, so what are my options and how long do you recommend to let the material set before pouring concrete..........thanks in advace..............vin

A lot depends on the type soils you have. Clay soils are probably the most difficult to get compacted and settled.

By far, using gravel or rock is the best. It requires no settling at all and goes in quickly and easily....you can pour concrete on it the next day. But it will add normally 500-100 for an average size pool.

thanks dave....I am in NC to...southern pines area, so we are mostly sand as you probably know, not sure when you go down into the soil though, so I think that going with gravel like you suggested willbe my best bet. I see in your signature you homebuilt your pool, I am talking to a few excavators now. Is there anything else i should be aware of, or ask explicitly about how the hole is dug? did you have anything wlse happen in your build that you wish you knew about before hand.......thanks for any info..........vin

Is there anything else i should be aware of, or ask explicitly about how the hole is dug?
I was so slow building mine that I was able to read on the internet and learn about most things although something will certainly catch you by surprise.....I just don't know what it is.

Best thing I could suggest if something doesn't make good common sense to you, come to this forum and post a question. There's a lot of DIY folks here who will help any way they can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.