Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new inground pool - what chemicals to put in first

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new inground pool - what chemicals to put in first

Hello all ... long time reader, first time poster here ... we have an inground pool vinyl 60,000 litres (16,000 gal) with a SWG. Being filled as we speak and should be a go tomorrow ... numbers from the tap are:

FC .5
    CC 0
    TC .5
    Ph 7.2
    TA 110
    CYA 0
    Salt 0

Did not test for CH as I figure it is vinyl liner and CH is not a priority.

So ... I am thinking of doing the following:

1. 400 lbs of salt for a 3000ppm count
    2. Stabilizier - 12 lbs to get CYA to about 50 ppm (currently none in the water) then afterwards bring to about 70 over the next few weeks
    3. 165 grams of Tricholor - to get cholorine to 3 ppm while waiting for salt to disolve
    4. PH for water is 7.2 and CA is 110 - aeration should bring the ph up slowly target PH 7.5 and 70 TA, so will cycle with acid to get to target TA.

Am I on track?
    Thanks,
    Dale
    From the Natural State

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new inground pool - what chemicals to put in first

Looks pretty good. Do 1 & 2 immediately.

The trichlor will also add CYA, so keep that in mind.

TA isn't critical, and will come down slowly with regular additions of MA to keep pH in check.

pH is ok for now, but if you use trichlor it will drop. Aeration is probably a good idea.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

Your plan sounds good but I wouldn't purposefully try to bring the pH up. It's good at 7.2 and with the SWCG it'll rise on it's own. Then you can start adjusting it down with MA and that'll move your TA lower as well.

Keep in mind that it'll take the salt a day or two to fully dissolve and register on the SWCG.

One last thing is that you should test your CH. You're correct that low CH doesn't matter to a vinyl liner but high CH will. Also if you have a heater (being that you spoke in litres I thought you might) some of them require the CH to be a certain level for the warranty.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the input ... sounds like I am on the right track ... will test for CH ... one last question, pool is filling and should be fully operational sometime tomorrow ... should I put some chlorine in now even though it will not circulate yet just to keep thing sanitized or should it be ok until the afternoon tomorrow ...
    Thanks,
    Dale
    From the Natural State

5. Back To Top    #5

Since you're filling with chlorinated water I wouldn't worry about adding any chlorine until I could get the pump running.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks ... very much appreciate the advice ... this site is terrific!
    Thanks,
    Dale
    From the Natural State