Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: liquid stabilizer?

1. Back To Top    #1

liquid stabilizer?

Is this stuff worth the money?

if so...

Which one?

My pool is being delivered Friday..I am told...

Thank you...
    Mike

22,000 gallons, cartridge filter, 1.5 hp hayward pump
    ag, vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: liquid stabilizer?

liquid CYA is not worth the extra cost. Get the granular (100% CYA), put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return until it dissolves. You can massage the sock periodically to speed the process,
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by svenpup
    liquid CYA is not worth the extra cost. Get the granular (100% CYA), put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return until it dissolves. You can massage the sock periodically to speed the process,
    +1

I went through lots of it, before I found the info here. Liquid is multiple times more expensive - a single $36 gallon is supposed to bring CYA up 32ppm in a 10,000 pool. In my experience, that advertised target is low. I added about 6 to get it to the ~70 level I have now. Also, while it says it is instant, the testing levels do creep up over several days so it's not like you are going to get instant results.

Next year - the sock method for sure!

Evan
    19000 gal in ground, pebble tec. Sta-rite system 3 DE filter, Aquarite SWG, raypak 406A heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Awesome tip on the sock! So much easier than dumping little bits into the skimmer at a time!
    Owner of a cloudy but no longer swampy green AG 24' x 4' Doughboy, sand filter with SWG. Soon to be a crystal clear oasis!

5. Back To Top    #5

I like pouring it in, as I know it is getting in there then.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

I can possibly see the benefit of liquid CYA for pool professionals that will only have access to the pool on a weekly basis, namely that it does absorb faster and will be fully absorbed by the time of the next visit, by comparison dry CYA can take several days to disolve and another several days to show up on tests, this is over a week to fully register on a test after treatment. For an individual with no such time constraints I see no advantage other than a slight bit of ease of use. Simply add your dry CYA and slowly bring up your FC levels to their new targets over the course of a few days as the CYA disolves.

Ike

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

One advantage of the liquid is that it doesn't lower your pH as it is essentially a salt with a pH of around 8, according to the label. I opted to spring for three gallons to get my CA up quickly and reliably at start-up. Worked like a charm, getting my 20,000+ gallon pool to 40 - 50ppm by the next day (with pump running overnight). I wouldn't use it every time, but for a new pool start-up, I preferred not to risk granules laying on my fresh plaster. Besides, I was spending enough time sweeping and balancing out the general chemistry, that a few bucks for an initial short-cut seemed worth it, and I didn't want something else messing with my pH.
    25' x 37' freeform, 22,000 gallon saltwater, 3'6" to 6'6" deep, including baja shelf and benches, 120 ft EP Henry retaining wall
    Pentair equipment (CC420 cartridge filter, VS-3050 variable speed pump, IC 60 salt cell, EasyTouch), 200 sq ft pool house
    View our Pool Build - View our Pool House Build