cloudy water suddenly

May 1, 2008
The pool has been crystal clear up until yesterday when I saw the very start of algae growth. We have had very hot and sunny weather, no rain for days. Ibackwashed the DE filter, added new DE, pressure good. during the day I added 5lbs of PH up, 5lbs of Alk up and lastly in the evening shocked the pool with Leslies Calcium Hypoclorite. This am the pool is very cloudy; can't see the bottom. PH is 7.2, Alk 80+, and clorine is high 5+ beyond my scale. What have I done and how do I fix it? Thanx for all your help.

pH up, baking soda and Cla Hyp can all cause cloudiness.

Run your filter 24/7 and maintain a high chlorine level. You'd help yourself greatly by getting an FAS-DPD chlorine test so you can measure shock levels.

There are two possibilities. Either you didn't add enough chlorine to take care of the algae, or you have calcium clouding. Algae will lower the FC level fairly rapidly and tend to cause either green or gray cloudiness. Calcium clouding will be white and not affect the FC level. Raising PH and TA and using cal-hypo are all things that can cause calcium clouding.

Algae can be fought by adding more chlorine. Calcium clouding can be cleared up by lowering the PH back down to around 7.2 to 7.4 (I'm sure it has gone up since the last time you checked).

I do not have a CYA level. The water was more white cloudy than gray. It has cleared significantly, not back to its original clarity yet. Clorine level has remained high, but decreasing slowly. I may be out of the woods, I hope.

JFPerrone said:
I do not have a CYA level. The water was more white cloudy than gray. It has cleared significantly, not back to its original clarity yet. Clorine level has remained high, but decreasing slowly. I may be out of the woods, I hope.

You don't have a CYA level because it comes up zero or you have no way to test for it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.