Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising CH

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising CH

I'm thinking of adding calcium chloride to raise CH a bit. Where is the best place to buy it and will it make my water taste salty?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising CH

Welcome to TFP.

When asking a question especially about a particular chemical please post a set of test results an how you got them. And since you're asking where, you should also include your location.

This is because we don't like giving blind advice and you may not even need more CH in your water. Also If I lived in Canada and you lived in Mexico telling you where I buy pool stuff will do you no good.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    When asking a question especially about a particular chemical please post a set of test results
    Good point, I thought about that later. I have a 24k gallon white plaster pool. I live in coastal southern california, and have a couple of water features that aerate the water while the pump is running. My pH rises pretty fast, so I need to add MA regularly.

I have a Taylor k-2006 test kit. Here are my latest results:

FC: 4.5
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 70
    CH: 250
    CYA: 35

I was thinking about getting the CH up to 300 and leaving my TA where it is at.

Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

I would leave your hardness level at 250ppm. It will rise with evaporation. What are you using for a sanitizer.

5. Back To Top    #5

That's what I'm talking about!

Unfortunately Alabama to California is about as far as Canada to Mexico. Sorry I can't help you with where to buy.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

What is the CH level in your fill water?

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by salp
    What are you using for a sanitizer.
    I use liquid chlorine (12.5%)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    What is the CH level in your fill water?

9. Back To Top    #9

CH fill rate is good, I would still let it raise on its own overtime. TA should also rise with aeration. What is your current CSI #'s?

10. Back To Top    #10

By your screen name I have a pretty good idea where you are located (or at least a good guess!). If I am correct, I'd leave it alone. Trust me; it will come up all by itself!

Welcome to the 'page!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by salp
    What is your current CSI #'s?
    It's at about -0.3 right now. My pool is about 10 years old. My fill pH is over 8, plus with all the aeration, adding MA is a regular part of my pool maintenance.

I wanted to add CH to get the CSI closer to 0. I don't want to add TA since my pool already has a problem with consistently rising pH and higher TA levels only encourages pH to rise. MA tends to lower TA, so I may have to adjust it higher from time to time.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    By your screen name I have a pretty good idea where you are located (or at least a good guess!). If I am correct, I'd leave it alone. Trust me; it will come up all by itself!
    I do have to work on my profile. I'm sure you're right about the water, I'm probably over thinking it. Just thought I'd try to hone in on zero for my CSI.

13. Back To Top    #13

-0.3 is fine.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden