Need help with 20x40 IG pool...trying to help my SIL

MrsFusion

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2010
SW Iowa
My SIL is renting a house that has an IG 20x40 pool. 40,000 gallons and has a liner. It has a wall skimmer and one return in the shallow end. It has a "main" drain the deep end(12ft). She is a total pool newbie and is having a horrible time keeping it clean. I'm going to help her thursday and see what we can figure out.

First off, her main drain is NOT doing anything. I'm still not sure what the main drain does? My pool doesn't have one. We assume it's clogged. I have not seen her filter/pump system yet. I guess it's possible that it's on the wrong port??? She says that the water flow is very weak. They have backwashed and still it is weak.

I don't have the recommended test kit yet, so I will be taking my 6-way drop kit with me to test her levels. I took my aquacritter to help clean her pool a couple of weeks ago. She only has a pole vac. The owner is not willing to repair the broken aquabot. So, keeping it clean is a major issue also. Course now with the pump/filter not working correctly...it's only gonna get worse! I know she's put in a ton a bleach, but, I don't know if she used any CYA?

So what I'm asking is...

what should we do/check first on the pump/filter?
and what should I check on the drain in the deep end?

I will use the pool calculator to see how much bleach she needs to put in. She says her ph is high right now. Not sure what kind of testing she is using(strips or drops)?

I'm sure I'll be back friday with lots of questions :)

TIA!

You really can't easily tell whether the drain is working or not, so don't assume it doesn't just because you can't detect flow.

If it's a sand filter, it may need a thorough backwashing. Sometimes newbies don't backwash for more than 30 or 40 seconds to save water, when 3 or 4 minutes is needed.

If it's a DE filter, the grids may need cleaning.

Either way, if you have the option of running the system on recirculate, see how it performs that way. That will tell you whether it's a plumbing issue or a filter issue.

Post back when you have more information.

Try to bring back some digital pictures of the pool and plumbing. You will be amazed at what the folks in here can see in a picture that neither you nor the readers might write about. This is a very visual forum and it works.

I don't know how much she is wanting to spend on this pool, but Chinese Kreepy Krawler Clones can be bought off ebay for under $100, they are not as well built and will tend to fall apart after a season or two, but you get what you pay for.

While you're there, take the basket out and look in the skimmer. If you see two pipes in the bottom the main drain could be piped to the skimmer and it's missing a diverter. That'll cause the MD not to work correctly. There are a few post by Richard320 that shows the device and explains how it works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.