Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sanitizing without chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Sanitizing without chemicals

New indoor pool, under construction. Primary swimmers are two adults. Visiting kids age 2-15.
    We would like to avoid chemicals most of the time (health reasons), and use a manual Bromine shock when we will be away from home for 2-3 days.

What are your opinions about this operating model:

(1) Delta UV Sanitizer E/ES40
    (2) Pentair Clean & CLear Cartridge system CCP320 OR Pentair Sand Filter TR-100
    (3) Pentair Rainbow Brominator #300 for occasional Bromine shock
    (4) IntelliFlo high-performance programmable variable-flow pump

Also, is Diamondbrite finish comfortable or rough on the feet?

10,000 gallon indoor lap pool, IG (in ground)
    Pentair IntelliFlo VF high-performance programmable pump; Pentair Model #CCP320 (No DE) Clean & Clear Cartridge
    Pentair Model #300 Rainbow Brominator; Delta Model #E/ES40 UV Sanitizer
    LED lights, Diamondbrite Pearl Blue finish, electric pool cover with stone lid detail and coded keypad control
    All equipment at ground level (not basement)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Waaay NW MN

Re: Sanitizing without chemicals

The experts will be along shortly to give the official word - however, I'm not seeing the UV sanitizer keeping the water clean enough as a regular source of maintaining sanitation unless you plan to use the Bromine more regularly than just as an occassional shock when you leave home. I believe it does in fact require supplementation. I'll let the experts tackle that - it's jmho from reading their posts.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

Austin, TX

Welcome to TFP. You may have read more than a few threads, but as a new user myself, I have slowly, but surely come to the conclusion that chlorine is likely the best sanitizer when properly maintained, which is what this site is all about. Other more experienced users will chime in I'm sure.

From a health professional standpoint I'm am also aware of the possible detriments of chlorine on asthma, other respiratory ailments and certain skin conditions, but now I'm starting to question the methods of those studies because it is so easy to get ill effects from an improperly maintained pool. Stable and low amounts of chlorine are probably not the culprit in those case, but improper pH, combined chlorines, metals, and what-have-you are more likely to have detrimental effects on chronic lung and skin conditions.

I was once going to get a UV light and Ozonator, but have now I'm excited to save the money, get a good test kit and a good chlorinator and maybe some borax!

Good luck.
    10K IG, Gunite with Wet Edge "Midnight Ocean" pebble surface, with spa, tanning shelf, and fountain. Pentair Intellibrite LED pool and spa lights. Rola-Chem chlorine pump (and tank), Pentair DE "Quad 80" cartridge filter, 400K BTU gas heater, VF Whisperflo, and Legend Pressure Side Cleaner with Pentair booster pump. Using TFTestKit.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Indiana

While the UV will kill biological contaminants, it will only do so when the water passes through the plumbing. That leaves you open to direct pathogen transfer from bather to bather.

I'm not sure of your reasoning for using the bromine when you are away. The pool needs to be sanitized while you are in it, and with no swimmers the UV will keep the water clear.

I'd recommend you just maintain a sufficient bromine level at all times and your water will be safe and will stay clear.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

The Woodlands, Texas, USA

Bromine used with ozone will create carcinogens. Bad idea.

To do ozone correctly you need 1 gram/hour/1000 gallons of water circulated continously and you must use a contact tank or holding tank. .... and because this is indoors you must have an ozone scrubber on your contact tank and ozone monitoring alarm system indoors. High levels of ozone indoors can exacerbate asthma also.... and all that will run you about $15k.

Indoor pools are difficult.

I don't have any experience with the UV, but think it may have a place with an indoor setup....likely not as the only sanitizer though...
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Fleming Island, FL

Quote Originally Posted by learthur
    Bromine used with ozone will create carcinogens. Bad idea.
    Is this true?? I use an ozone generator in a spa that has bromine sanitizer. Are you saying this is dangerous? If so, I know a lot of people that are currently using this system and should be aware of the dangers.
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

7. Back To Top    #7
    SW Louisiana

First off, 90+% of advice you will get anywhere is from people with NO EXPERIENCE dealing with indoor residential pools.

Second every indoor pool is different, in my case while it is an indoor pool, the pool is surrounded by about a dozen sliding glass doors which can allow a great deal or ventialation / air exchange, an important feature in my area in the summer.

Third, Chlorine is not a dirty word, in 30 years of dealing with an indoor pool, trying various things, baqua, etc. I am back to basic liquid bleach, and MPS non chlorine shock for supplemental oxidation. I have no problems with strong "chlorine" fumes like I seem to always find at indoor pools in hotels, even in the spring and fall months when the doors tend to be closed and Solar heat running, etc.

p.s. I am considering trying UV to replace or partly replace my need for MPS
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~