Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this good

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this good

I'm a new pool owner and i kind of been frustrated about the chemistry. i was talking to my nighbor about it and he told me that he only worries about the FC and PH, and he also told me that the previous home owner did the same and never had any problems with the pool.

Is it good to just worry about that? If it is this would take care of my frustration.
    21K gal, Pentair Cartridge filter, IG pool, Concrete, 2.5hp Pentair pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this good

PH and FC are the only values that change on a daily basis. In that respect, they are the only values that require daily attention or "worrying". The other results (CH, TA, CYA, etc) don't change much, HOWEVER it is still important to check them initially to make sure they are in range, and occasionally to make sure they stay there. If TA and CYA are within range, it will be MUCH easier to maintain proper pH and FC. Out of range CH can cause permanent damage to a pool.

Why are you frustrated? Is there a particular test/result that is out of range or causing you problems? If you post your results we can help.
    33' above ground pool, 52" deep, about 27500 g
    sand filter w/zeobrite

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda
    PH and FC are the only values that change on a daily basis. In that respect, they are the only values that require daily attention or "worrying". The other results (CH, TA, CYA, etc) don't change much, HOWEVER it is still important to check them initially to make sure they are in range, and occasionally to make sure they stay there. If TA and CYA are within range, it will be MUCH easier to maintain proper pH and FC. Out of range CH can cause permanent damage to a pool.

Why are you frustrated? Is there a particular test/result that is out of range or causing you problems? If you post your results we can help.
    CC is also important as it tells you when the shock is needed.
    Intex 18' x 48" < 5,593 gal
    Stock pump/cartridge filter
    Rare actual working hang on skimmer *keeping fingers crossed*

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by 1jjtroutbum

Good point..but correct me if I am wrong.....if you maintain adequate FC levels, your CC should stay close to zero and you really shouldn't need to shock at all.
    33' above ground pool, 52" deep, about 27500 g
    sand filter w/zeobrite

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 1jjtroutbum

Good point..but correct me if I am wrong.....if you maintain adequate FC levels, your CC should stay close to zero and you really shouldn't need to shock at all.
    Should have stated that I agreed with you but that CC is also important.

The 5yo niece and 2yo nephew were over yesterday guess who needed to shock the pool today?
    Intex 18' x 48" < 5,593 gal
    Stock pump/cartridge filter
    Rare actual working hang on skimmer *keeping fingers crossed*

6. Back To Top    #6

You still want to know TA, as controlling that will help control pH.

Most of us want to know CH, as that out of range can affect the pool surfaces.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.