Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to drain pool after rain??

1. Back To Top    #1

How to drain pool after rain??

Hi All,
    we received abt 2.5" of rain sat and i drained the pool a bit the only way i know how, the backwash procedure.
    so we are getting more rain now! i dont want to backwash again as i dont want to wast the DE from the filter.
    We do have a "hose bib" right near the pump.
    what is the proper way to drain the pool a bit using this? do i just hook up a hose and turn it on while the pump is on or is there more to it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to drain pool after rain??

Hook the hose to the hose bibb and away you go!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

You have figured it out already. Hook up a garden hose, turn on the valve, and the pool will drain (so long as the pump is running). You want to keep an eye on the whole process, so you don't drain too much, and remember to turn off the garden hose valve before turning off the pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5
    East Texas

What the heck is a "hose bib"!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Central Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    What the heck is a "hose bib"!
    The valve that you screw your garden hose onto is called a hose bib, or a spigot, or a sillcock, or a hydrant.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.