Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question about T/A.

1. Back To Top    #1

question about T/A.

Just realized that that T/A could mean something else! This question is about my water! Pool is clear. Should I do something about the TA? It's been high since we opened the pool. I have been using softened well water to add about four inches per week. Finally found the leak and fixed it (blown seam ). Now I'm wondering if I should get the TA under control or is it really no big deal?

here are my numbers.

FC 4
    CC 0
    TC 4
    pH 7.6
    TA 240
    CYA 30
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: question about T/A.

If you have high CH levels (which you should test from time to time even though you have a vinyl pool), high TA makes calcium scaling more likely. Otherwise, the TA will cause pH to raise quickly. If it's not fast enough to be annoying, I wouldn't worry about it since it will gradually come down. If it is annoyingly fast, you could lower TA using the procedure in pool school.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

My CH is 310.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

4. Back To Top    #4

With a CH of 310, I think I would try and lower it a little.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

5. Back To Top    #5

Can someone please check my work!

According to the calculator I should add 107 oz of muriatic acid. This will bring my pH down to 7.0 and my TA down to 100. Then I aerate the pool to bring it back up to 7.6.

I've never messed with muriatic acid, so when and how should I add the acid.
    Then, when do I aerate the pool. Also, does six kids and one roudy husband splashing around count as aerating? If so, how soon after acid addition can they go in? How soon after all this do I retest.

I LOVE TFP!! It's the best thing since straightjackets!

Thanks!
    Theresa and/or Gary

6. Back To Top    #6

I get 103 oz but that's because your pool is really 13,000 gallons. Also that won't get your TA to anywhere near 100 from 240. It'll only bring your TA down to about 210.

You should pour it slowly in front of a return with the pump running.
    Yes, six kids and a rowdy hubby counts for lots of [s:2m5wtp4j]aggrevation[/s:2m5wtp4j] uh.. aeration.
    They can swim about 30 minutes after adding the acid.

And yes, T/A can stand for something else!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

OK, the 107 oz of acid sounds about right (I would add a little less just to be on the safe side), but according to the "effects of adding chemicals" section at the bottom of the pool calculator, that would lower your TA by about 30, not down to 100. You'll have to add acid, then aerate, then add acid, then aerate.......several times if you want to get your TA down to 100.

Add the acid very slowly (like a stream the size of a pencil) in front of your return with the pump running. Give it a half hour or so to mix. Splashing definitely counts as aerating, but it will be easier if you can rig something up to aerate the pool automatically.

Ahg, Bama beat me for once...

8. Back To Top    #8

The size of a pencil! If anyone needs to reach me, I will be adding acid to my pool for the next six hours!!

Thanks for the super quick response! I can always count on you guys!
    Theresa and/or Gary

9. Back To Top    #9

I added the suggested amount of acid two days ago. I just retested and have gotten the same result as before. TA is still 240. And pH is within good recommendations. What do I make of this?

thanks!
    Theresa and/or Gary

10. Back To Top    #10

What test kit are you using?
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Intex 1600GPH Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Either you have a problem with your test kit/procedures, or the acid isn't 20 baume muriatic acid. Your pH may have recovered, but your TA should have lowered some. I wouldn't add more than 32 oz acid at a time..... Wait 30 minutes and test. As your TA comes into range, it will take less acid to move the pH, and you don't want to overdo it. My pool is twice your size and it took 6 gallons to bring mine down from 230 to 100.
    33' above ground pool, 52" deep, about 27500 g
    sand filter w/zeobrite

12. Back To Top    #12

I would areate to get the pH up a bit more and then add acid to bring it down and do that as many times as it requires to move the TA.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit