Air Leak suction side - Main Drain line - no water loss

so far - im happy its only 2-3 feet down. i kno a new joint is the way to go. problem is space and since i am cutting out a bad coupling - i am going to have to add pipe and do some prying to get it in position. plus i am not sure i can get a clean cut. line runs right next to 4x4 post, electric about a foot away from where the filter sits and less than foot from teh skimmer line - and i am thinking the skimmer line probably has the same configuration, so i dont want to disturb it.

someone suggested putting the glue all around the existing union turing the pump on to kind of suck it in - then epoxy. thoughts ?? and what if i am wrong and its lower, because i am thinking the water is leaching into the ground so the break could be lower.

As difficult as it might be, you have to cut it out and fix it right. If room to saw out the length of pipe is an issue with a regular hacksaw, you can get a hacksaw that looks like a string with little loops at both ends to hold it. You just run the "string" under the pipe, then hold it by the end loops and run it back and forth until the pipe is cut. If you do that, now you have a clean cut on the 2 inch line, and a clean cut on the 1.5 inch line. Cut enough pipe out so that you have between 12 and 18 inches between the 2" and 1.5".

Now, the next thing i'm going to suggest is not as optimal as a glued coupling, but it's a great option if the space is so tight you cant get a length of pipe in and a glued coupling on.
Get whats called a Fernco coupling,1.5"; you will need 2. They are thick, rubber couplings with band clamps at each end. I wouldnt use them at all on the pressure side, but on the suction, they would work fne.

1) First, put the PVC bushing on the 2 inch, then stub out of that with a length of 1.5 inch (about 6 inches long) to join with the 1.5 inch on the other side. What you have now is about a 12 inch space with 1.5" pvc on each side.

2) Slide the couplings over the ends of each 1.5" pipe.
3) Cut a piece of 1.5" PVC that just fits the space, maybe a 1/4" gap on each end.

4) Put the pipe in the gap, and slide the fernco's over the ends of the pipe so that the coupling is centered over the small gap.
5) tighten down the clamps.

Another option is to use a PVC dresser coupling. Similar to the above, but joins the 2 pieces with one coupling by using compression fittings.

The third option is to use flex PVC. It glues in just like rigid, but you can manuever it into a tight space. Flex PVC isnt thought of highly on here (I like it :wink: ) but for this application, it's perfect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.