Solar Cover - Newb question

Jul 12, 2010
Long Island, NY
Okay - Month 1 of a "real" pool. (more like week 1). Anyway, I have read and re-read the paperwork from inside the box of the solar cover - but nowhere does it say this......Can I run my pump while the cover is on? It seems to just swirl in a circle, despite the eye being pointed somewhat down - dh seems to think it's gonna get sucked into the skimmer or something (I don't see how) and we're not sure if the fact that it's moving is cutting down on it's heating ability. Do these covers work well? The box just says 18' round (seems like 19), 3 year warranty - it doesn't give me the thickness.

And I guess lastly (sorry), how about those solar cover reels - do they really work? Are they worth the $$? I need to be able to move this cover by myself on morning when I want to take my daughter swimming and be able to replace it. I'm figuring I need one....

Thanks for all of your help! I am really enjoying pool school, there so much stuff I had no idea of last year with the intex!

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

You can run your pump whille the cover is on. I did it the whole time I had it on this spring. It won't get sucked into the skimmer and it doesn't matter if it spins around. I didn't have that problem because I cut slits in it to fit around the steps so that and the straps from the reel kept it from spinning.

I love the reel I have. It makes it so easy to put on and off. I can put mine on or take it off in less than 5 minutes. With an 18' it should be no problem for you to handle it. A lot of people here use the saddles and say that it's easy to use too. Just another option to think about.

A solar cover is a much better insulator, than it is a heater. If you happen to have a darker liner, you are better off leaving it off during the day and covering the pool in the evening to avoid heat loss when temps are cooler outside :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.