Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Disposing of tested water samples

1. Back To Top    #1

Disposing of tested water samples

I'm curious how folks dispose of their water samples after testing with the liquid test kits. I have a TF-100 test kit and noticed the warning labels on every bottle, mostly warning against contact with skin or clothing. Is it safe to be throwing my tested samples down the kitchen drain - into a septic system?

I realize there are minor amounts of each reagent used during each test, but I'm concerned about the cumulative effect after weeks of dumping test samples down the drain. Is this safe for my septic system?

20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Polaris 360 pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Disposing of tested water samples

I have a little cutout in the concrete filled with gravel where my sprinkler controls come up out of the ground. That's where I dump my samples. If the stuff is really nasty, all it's gonna kill is weeds I don't want anyway.

I think the warnings are there because some of the reagents are weak acids.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

There is a thread about this very thing going on now. I toss it in the yard if I'm testing outside or if I'm testing inside I pour it down the drain. There's such a small amount compared to the amount of water poured down the drain that even after years of pouring it down the drain it wouldn't be detectable.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I dump mine back in my pool! I figure that my pool is so easy to take care of now that if it does anything "bad" then I have a challenge that I get to deal with!