Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: broken pool brushes

1. Back To Top    #1

broken pool brushes

Does anyone know where to buy industrial strenght pool brushes. I brush my pool 1 to 2 times a week and the standard aluminum brushes that I purchased at walmart or the pool store break way to often. I have broken 3 in the last year and a half. I need a brush that can take some abuse as I don't have time to baby my my equipment. I bought the steel to build my own reinforced brush but if I would rather buy one. I have been luck that none of the brushes have failed dramatically while inuse, other wise I may have cut my liner.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: broken pool brushes

Are you talking about the pole and not the brush itself? You can go to Amazon and search for commercial pool poles or brushes and find several. If you're regularly breaking the brushes, you're brushing your vinyl liner too hard and will eventually tear it. If you're using anything except a plastic bristled brush you're using the wrong thing for a vinyl liner.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Skimlite is supposed to make good quality poles: http://www.skimlite.com/3006.html
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

4. Back To Top    #4

Talking about the brush head not the pole. I am using plastic bristel brushes. Two of the three brushes broke in transit from behind the pool house to the pool. They either caught a bush or bumped a tree. Keep in mind these were not hard hits but I guess it put just enough torque on the brush to brake the aluminum back bone. I thought there may be some manufacture that welded diagonal bracing on to the brush for added strength. I am not sure were I broke the third brush. Not certain how to brush lighter i just push the brush across the pool bottom and walls. I do tend to brush fast. My theory that fast brushing promotes more water movement and I have other things that I would like to do rather than brushing the pool.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you leave those brushes out in sun the UV will kill them pretty quickly and they'll become brittle. I was thnking that you were bearing down on them fairly hard but that doesn't appear to be the problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

try to use a brush with clear nylon bristles

7. Back To Top    #7

They hang on my fence outside. It is the molded aluminum back bone that keeps breaking, right at the transisition where the arm joins the pole insert.

8. Back To Top    #8

I wonder if it's the chlorine that's attacking the aluminum causing it to become brittle. Mine is all plastic and it's over a year old and shows no sign of failing. Granted, I keep it in the deck box if it's not being used.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I keep mine in the deck box too. I got one of those Wally Whaley or whatever they're called. I've had it so far about 2 seasons and it seems to be holding up well.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)