Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: importance of salt to CSI in non-salt pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

importance of salt to CSI in non-salt pool?

I was just advising someone to play with the Pool Calculator to get familiar with it and so I started playing with in with my pool values.

My pool is not salt, as far as I know, but then I've added so much bleach to it in 18 months that it may have a lot of salt in it now. I noted the other day that I found it easy to float, which makes me think that maybe it is a bit salty. I can't taste any salt however.

I recall that someone said that a non-salt pool might still have 1500 ppm of salt.... so I added that to my values in the Calculator and WOW -- suddenly my CSI is at -.51

So, should I be testing for salt? Should we all be testing for salt? It seems to make a difference, at least to me since I'd run TA to the low side to keep pH in check, then started using tabs to get CYA up. If I assume no salt, the CSI is fine at -.37.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: importance of salt to CSI in non-salt pool?

Most people don't need to worry about the effect of salt on CSI, because you don't usually need to know what your CSI level is that precisely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Since you have an in-ground presumably gunite pool with waterfall and spa spillover, it would be better for you to have a higher CH level to get the saturation index higher to protect the plaster and rock (depending on type) surfaces. It doesn't have to be exactly at zero, but I wouldn't have it be so low for a very long time -- short-term exposures are OK. If you had a vinyl pool with no exposed grout in tile, then the CSI wouldn't matter if it were low. I don't think you need to test for salt, but I would assume that you've probably got at least 1000 ppm unless you have fairly decent water dilution.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

I can get that CH up to the 300s easily. Will do.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.