Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy salt...and what type

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to buy salt...and what type

Hello group, Anyone have any suggestions on where to buy salt and what type of
    salt to buy? I read that water softener salt is prolly best, and at least 98% or so?
    Home Depot has three kinds, but I haven't really found other places. I think Home
    Despot will deliver inexpensively. (I'm in Northern Virginia).
    I'm just about to prime the water for the SWG installation. Not sure if I shoulda
    done this or not, but I bought two bottles of salt test strips to back up the indicator
    on the SWG. Do you think that's necessary? Any other advice for the mentally
    challenged, self-appointed pool caretaker? Thanks. Mule
    Dark plaster in-ground, 25K gallons, Triton II sand fliter, Teledyne Laars Series 2 ESG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner,
    Circupool RJ45 SWCG, one skimmer doesn't work (any suggestions for snaking this or determining why it doesn't
    work?), using 12mil bubble wrap solar cover, Marquis 660 hot tub using liquid bleach.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to buy salt...and what type

Home Depot, Pool Salt

3. Back To Top    #3

Water softener salt without additives is good. Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags. Pool salt is also fine, though in many places it is more expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Jason.
    Dark plaster in-ground, 25K gallons, Triton II sand fliter, Teledyne Laars Series 2 ESG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner,
    Circupool RJ45 SWCG, one skimmer doesn't work (any suggestions for snaking this or determining why it doesn't
    work?), using 12mil bubble wrap solar cover, Marquis 660 hot tub using liquid bleach.

5. Back To Top    #5

I actually found 40lb bags of pool salt at my local WalMart. It was also cheaper than the solar salt at Home Depot and Lowes.
    23K Gunite IG Pool
    Waterway Crystal Water SVL56 Pump/1.5HP AO Smith Motor
    Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter C17502
    Aquarite 40k SWG
    Polaris 360

6. Back To Top    #6

Mule, I am about to take the plunge on an RJ45 system also. Please let me know how the install/conversion goes. At the moment, I am using the 3" pucks of Trichlor.
    18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

what type of salt should it be? NaCl? of with something else then Na? and as i don't live in the us, i don't think i'll finde those brands of salt. any advice?
    i've seen the 99,4%+ and no additives, any thing else i should look after?
    Intex pool: Intex® 28' x 12' x 48" Oval Frame Pool with everything that belongs to it.
    i live in Belgiuim, europe

8. Back To Top    #8

NaCl is the best choice, most common and the least expensive, though you can use Potassium Chloride if that is all you can find.

Yes, anything that is 99.4% salt and doesn't have any additives is fine. Avoid table salt, which has additives that can cause stains.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Plain stock salt from the local feed store. $4.50/50lb sack. Has a bit of sand in it but the price is right.
    55,000gal+/- salt water, DE filter, Pebble. Yes it is that large.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yesterday i went to the store, and found some salt (99.8%) in large bags (25kg) used for water dehardning (dunno if this is the right translation ) the only probleme is that the chunks are rather big, would it be a probleme if i smash em to tiny pieces?
    Intex pool: Intex® 28' x 12' x 48" Oval Frame Pool with everything that belongs to it.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Boeie
    Yesterday i went to the store, and found some salt (99.8%) in large bags (25kg) used for water dehardning (dunno if this is the right translation ) the only probleme is that the chunks are rather big, would it be a probleme if i smash em to tiny pieces?
    You don't need to smash 'em unless that is part of your routine anger management program. My suggestion is to just wait 15 mins, take the telescope and push 'em around to help dissolve.
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

hehe,

i don't rly get what you mean with the telescope?
    I have an intex swg, where i need to add 1kg of salt in a container with water. i think the salt needs to be rather small for that, no? or well it work just fine if i mix it up once and a while?

13. Back To Top    #13

It sounds like adding salt to water for Intex is very different than what I am used to. So I will refrain from adding to my comment and misguiding you and allow someone with Intex experience to respond.
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits

14. Back To Top    #14

As long as the salt fits easily into the bin it is fine. It can be anything from granular to crystals to pellets, all of them will dissolve fairly quickly as needed.

15. Back To Top    #15

thank you very much

16. Back To Top    #16

ok, so a couple of days ago i bought a big bag of salt tablets, and i'm having some probleme with them, especially with dosage.
    i add the the amount i should be, measured with the cup that goes with the system, but its never rly right. sometimes it works when i add just a little more, sometimes it doesn't even work when I keep adding tablets (allways waiting untill the previous tablets are disolved).
    any tips? maybe i should start by smashing the tablets to tiny pieces, would that work?

the pool is starting to turn green now :s It's starting to get frustrating
    I'm in desperate need of a decent testing kit, but that's rly a pain for someone from belgium i'll need to get paypal i think, but i also read that the one offerd by tfp isn't shippleable outside the us, is that right?
    any tips?

any tips op how i can stop my pool from getting green? i thought about buying some bleach tomorrow (the one advice by the bbb methode ofc) and just add some once and a while (i have plenty of time ) and see what happens (plz note that i just said i still need to buy a desent testing kit, and don't rly know any values exept low fc en ph

sorry if i'm not in the right section, but it seems a little pointless of making a new topic. correct me if i'm wrong

btw i live in belgium, and i have an intex pool wich can contain 24000 litres of water, the one with the inflatable ring. (8.5 metres long and 3.5 metres wide)

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    NaCl is the best choice, most common and the least expensive, though you can use Potassium Chloride if that is all you can find.

Yes, anything that is 99.4% salt and doesn't have any additives is fine. Avoid table salt, which has additives that can cause stains.
    Potassium Chloride? Isn't that stuff poisonous?
    20,000 gal oval IG, vinyl liner. 1 HP Pentair Superflo pump. Intellichlor ic20 SWCG with easy touch, Sand Dollar SD80 sand filter, Taylor K-2006 test kit.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by hyperchord24
    Potassium Chloride? Isn't that stuff poisonous?
    Yes, it is about the same amount poisonous as common table salt, which is part of why it is sold as a common salt substitute for use on food. Eating too much of just about anything will kill you, salt is no exception.

Boeie, yes you should be adding chlorine regularly. However, without some hint of what your CYA level might be, it is difficult to guess at how much chlorine you need.

19. Back To Top    #19

and how can i figure out what my cya level is?

20. Back To Top    #20

Bringing back the dead... I almost bought some Mortons at costco just for kicks to throw in the pool.. it had one additive, and says for water softeners ONLY... so I didn't buy it till I asked here if it was ok. They only sell the one kind
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast