Chlorine storage

BelLa's Pond

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Hi all!

I know I could spend hours researching this question, and I have looked at many posts on this forum, but:

Does anyone here in Phoenix have any experience with storing liquid chlorine? I have been storing mine in a closed and locked shed, but the indoor temp of the shed probably tops 100. I am using the BBB method so go thru it pretty quick anyway, but I'm still trying to figure out if my rapid chlorine loss is due to algae, heat, storage, all of the above, or etc.

Thanks for all responses!

Welcome to TFP!!

THANK YOU! for helping to support this great site!

For any chlorine storage I strongly recommend buying a lidded plastic storage container to keep the chlorine in and keep it outside, in the shade!

All chlorine will 'outgas' and start attacking any metal in the room it's stored in :evil:

As you use the bottles fairly quickly, I doubt you'll have an issue with degradation, even at the high temps you experience (heat and UV are the 2 largest factors in the degradation of liquid chlorine)

I hope this is the only issue you need to ask us about! However, feel free to post some pics of your beautiful pool and join us for some laughs/ off topic discussions in the VIP lounge :cheers:

but I'm still trying to figure out if my rapid chlorine loss is due to algae, heat, storage, all of the above, or etc.
That seems you are saying you have unexpected FC loss in your pool. I would examine the condtion of your pool water chemistry first and be concerned about storage dead last. If you post a set of test results and describe how much chlorine you are losing, we can help.

When you say Liquid Chlorine are you talking about 6% bleach or 12.5%?
Someone just posted a degradation chart a bit ago and 12.5% in 100ºF heat degrades pretty quickly.

If you have a FAS-DPD chlorine test your best bet is to perform a OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test) to rule out organics. Then work on the storage issue.

Thank you, thank you and thank you again for your responses. I am really on a broad learning curve here.

Question 1: so short term storage of 10% chlorine is not a problem? I get it at Fry's 2 gal. for $ 8.

#2 I have performed the overnight chlorine loss test, but still don't understand, is my chorine loss due to algae or hot sun. My test results reveal it could be either.
I will post my latest test results tonight.

Thanks!

If you are testing, then adding the calculated volume and by the next day you have a large loss of chlorine, you still don't know if the chlorine is bad.

Perhaps you need to test, add the calculated volume to reach goal, circulate and hour and see if you ever hit that goal.

My test results reveal it could be either.
Hi, Bella,

No, the overnight FC loss test only tests the chlorine over a period (all night) of darkness so it eliminates the sun from the equation. Reread how to do the test before you do it again, and if it's not clear, we'll be glad to help you with it.

Bama Rambler said:
When you say Liquid Chlorine are you talking about 6% bleach or 12.5%?
Someone just posted a degradation chart a bit ago and 12.5% in 100ºF heat degrades pretty quickly.
People look at charts like that, and start thinking LC degrades to uselessness in no time. Yes it degrades, no not that fast.

A chart like that means 100ºF constant 24-hour heat. Where I am the daytime temps can reach that, but it's not round-the-clock. So you need to think about it in terms of mean temp, not max temp.

I buy 8 gallons of 12.5% at a time; it sits outside in the shed on the north side of the house. Each batch lasts about 6 weeks in the summer. I made a point of dumping in the entire last gallon of the most recent batch and measuring the FC rise; and according to my calculations it had degraded to somewhere in the 9.5-10% range.

People need to make their own value judgements, and YMMV; but if I lose only 2-3 percentage points over 6 weeks on stuff I get at a good price, I am very okay with that.
--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PaulR,

Thank you for your great post regarding my issues. The clarifications really help a lot.
I appreciate all the information put so succinctly.

Duraleigh, Thanks for pointing out my mistake on the overnight test. I don't know how I missed it, but I did. Will post results over the weekend.

Thanks all!

OK,

Finally able to perform a OFC test!

The results: a loss between .5 and 1

So that's good, right? I don't need to worry about algae for now?

Re: Chlorine storage - I only buy 2 gallons at a time and go through it in a week, so from what I gather degradation is not a problem.

Thanks for everyone's help!

$8 for 2 Gallons of 10% is roughly $3.40 for 182 oz of 6%.

Walmart, Target etc tend to sell 6% 182 oz for around $2.50 to 2.75 (about %25 less). Over the course of a year in AZ it might save you a couple hundred dollars to look around.

If you can find 4 gal cases of 12% for around $12-$13 (independent pool supply house) it's the cheapest chlorine I've found (equivalent to $2.25 for a 182oz 6%)

Not a critique, just a heads up.

Good luck!

Lightingguy, thanks for the answer.

I'm not a WalMart shopper, so I wouldn't know, but I checked websites for both Walmart and Target and don't see any indication of chlorine for sale.

Independent pool supply house with 4 gal. containers? Where?

Can you please direct me to any place that sell for the prices that you are talking about. I'm very interested!

Thanks!

I'm unfamiliar with the Pheonix area - but if you google "pool supply" and call around you might find a dealer that carry's 12% by the case. It comes in a case with 4 1 gal bottles. When you are done with the case you typically take it back to the dealer and swap for a new one.

To try to compare various chlorine prices :

Take the size in Oz's and multiply by the strength - 2 Gallons is 256 oz (128oz X 2)

256oz X .10 = 25.6oz of Chlorine Then divide the price ($8) by 25.6 oz of chlorine = 31cents an ounce

Walmart Chlorine (6% 182oz 2.69)

182 oz X .06 = 10.9oz of Chlorine. 2.69/10.9 = 25 cents an ounce

4 Gallon 12% Cases at $13

Sorry about all that math in the morning. :? I spent a couple months comparing prices when I was at various stores. Good luck.

512oz X .12 = 61.4 oz Chlorine $13/61.4 = 21 cents an ounce.

Don't limit yourselves just to Pool stores-- try your local hardware stores and also janitorial supply houses.. a local supply place here has the 12 % in 15 gal drums --you rent the drum or purchase and they will fill it.. lot cheaper that way.. last time I bought it was only 1.15 a gallon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.