Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine storage

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine storage

Hi all!

I know I could spend hours researching this question, and I have looked at many posts on this forum, but:

Does anyone here in Phoenix have any experience with storing liquid chlorine? I have been storing mine in a closed and locked shed, but the indoor temp of the shed probably tops 100. I am using the BBB method so go thru it pretty quick anyway, but I'm still trying to figure out if my rapid chlorine loss is due to algae, heat, storage, all of the above, or etc.

Thanks for all responses!
    10k fiberglass lined IG (over ???), pool dates to 1973, Pentair 1hp superflo pump, Hayward 36SqFt DE filter, Hayward 2025 Ultra Vac, BBB disciple

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine storage

Welcome to TFP!!

THANK YOU! for helping to support this great site!

For any chlorine storage I strongly recommend buying a lidded plastic storage container to keep the chlorine in and keep it outside, in the shade!

All chlorine will 'outgas' and start attacking any metal in the room it's stored in

As you use the bottles fairly quickly, I doubt you'll have an issue with degradation, even at the high temps you experience (heat and UV are the 2 largest factors in the degradation of liquid chlorine)

I hope this is the only issue you need to ask us about! However, feel free to post some pics of your beautiful pool and join us for some laughs/ off topic discussions in the VIP lounge
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with waste. I don't think that you will really have a problem as long as the storage box sits in the shade.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

but I'm still trying to figure out if my rapid chlorine loss is due to algae, heat, storage, all of the above, or etc.
    That seems you are saying you have unexpected FC loss in your pool. I would examine the condtion of your pool water chemistry first and be concerned about storage dead last. If you post a set of test results and describe how much chlorine you are losing, we can help.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

When you say Liquid Chlorine are you talking about 6% bleach or 12.5%?
    Someone just posted a degradation chart a bit ago and 12.5% in 100ºF heat degrades pretty quickly.

If you have a FAS-DPD chlorine test your best bet is to perform a OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test) to rule out organics. Then work on the storage issue.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you, thank you and thank you again for your responses. I am really on a broad learning curve here.

Question 1: so short term storage of 10% chlorine is not a problem? I get it at Fry's 2 gal. for $ 8.

#2 I have performed the overnight chlorine loss test, but still don't understand, is my chorine loss due to algae or hot sun. My test results reveal it could be either.
    I will post my latest test results tonight.

Thanks!
    10k fiberglass lined IG (over ???), pool dates to 1973, Pentair 1hp superflo pump, Hayward 36SqFt DE filter, Hayward 2025 Ultra Vac, BBB disciple

7. Back To Top    #7

If you are testing, then adding the calculated volume and by the next day you have a large loss of chlorine, you still don't know if the chlorine is bad.

Perhaps you need to test, add the calculated volume to reach goal, circulate and hour and see if you ever hit that goal.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

My test results reveal it could be either.
    Hi, Bella,

No, the overnight FC loss test only tests the chlorine over a period (all night) of darkness so it eliminates the sun from the equation. Reread how to do the test before you do it again, and if it's not clear, we'll be glad to help you with it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Test results:

FC 3
    CC 0
    TC 3
    Ph 7.3
    TA 110
    CH 300
    CYA 75

Will reinvestigate overnight drop test.
    In the meantime, I will also add some more chlorine.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    When you say Liquid Chlorine are you talking about 6% bleach or 12.5%?
    Someone just posted a degradation chart a bit ago and 12.5% in 100ºF heat degrades pretty quickly.
    People look at charts like that, and start thinking LC degrades to uselessness in no time. Yes it degrades, no not that fast.

A chart like that means 100ºF constant 24-hour heat. Where I am the daytime temps can reach that, but it's not round-the-clock. So you need to think about it in terms of mean temp, not max temp.

I buy 8 gallons of 12.5% at a time; it sits outside in the shed on the north side of the house. Each batch lasts about 6 weeks in the summer. I made a point of dumping in the entire last gallon of the most recent batch and measuring the FC rise; and according to my calculations it had degraded to somewhere in the 9.5-10% range.

People need to make their own value judgements, and YMMV; but if I lose only 2-3 percentage points over 6 weeks on stuff I get at a good price, I am very okay with that.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

11. Back To Top    #11

PaulR,

Thank you for your great post regarding my issues. The clarifications really help a lot.
    I appreciate all the information put so succinctly.

Duraleigh, Thanks for pointing out my mistake on the overnight test. I don't know how I missed it, but I did. Will post results over the weekend.

Thanks all!

12. Back To Top    #12

OK,

Finally able to perform a OFC test!

The results: a loss between .5 and 1

So that's good, right? I don't need to worry about algae for now?

Re: Chlorine storage - I only buy 2 gallons at a time and go through it in a week, so from what I gather degradation is not a problem.

Thanks for everyone's help!

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, that's good. And your chlorine won't degrade in a week.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

14. Back To Top    #14

$8 for 2 Gallons of 10% is roughly $3.40 for 182 oz of 6%.

Walmart, Target etc tend to sell 6% 182 oz for around $2.50 to 2.75 (about %25 less). Over the course of a year in AZ it might save you a couple hundred dollars to look around.

If you can find 4 gal cases of 12% for around $12-$13 (independent pool supply house) it's the cheapest chlorine I've found (equivalent to $2.25 for a 182oz 6%)

Not a critique, just a heads up.

Good luck!
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

Lightingguy, thanks for the answer.

I'm not a WalMart shopper, so I wouldn't know, but I checked websites for both Walmart and Target and don't see any indication of chlorine for sale.

Independent pool supply house with 4 gal. containers? Where?

Can you please direct me to any place that sell for the prices that you are talking about. I'm very interested!

Thanks!

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm unfamiliar with the Pheonix area - but if you google "pool supply" and call around you might find a dealer that carry's 12% by the case. It comes in a case with 4 1 gal bottles. When you are done with the case you typically take it back to the dealer and swap for a new one.

To try to compare various chlorine prices :

Take the size in Oz's and multiply by the strength - 2 Gallons is 256 oz (128oz X 2)

256oz X .10 = 25.6oz of Chlorine Then divide the price ($8) by 25.6 oz of chlorine = 31cents an ounce

Walmart Chlorine (6% 182oz 2.69)

182 oz X .06 = 10.9oz of Chlorine. 2.69/10.9 = 25 cents an ounce

4 Gallon 12% Cases at $13

Sorry about all that math in the morning. I spent a couple months comparing prices when I was at various stores. Good luck.

512oz X .12 = 61.4 oz Chlorine $13/61.4 = 21 cents an ounce.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

17. Back To Top    #17

Don't limit yourselves just to Pool stores-- try your local hardware stores and also janitorial supply houses.. a local supply place here has the 12 % in 15 gal drums --you rent the drum or purchase and they will fill it.. lot cheaper that way.. last time I bought it was only 1.15 a gallon
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Dolphin E10
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

18. Back To Top    #18

I haven't seen alternatives to clorox at Sam's Club, but BJ's club (east coast warehouse club) sells 4 gallons of "pool shock" 12.5% for $12
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit