Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I reading the color change in the TA & CH test Correctly?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I reading the color change in the TA & CH test Correctly?

I own the Taylor K-2006. I still occasionally take my water to the pool store to have them test it. Needless to say, they are always way off of my weekly readings that don't fluctuate much. I guess everyone reads results differently. I believe that I am right but I still have a question to make sure I am reading a few tests correctly:

How do you judge when the color changes? With the Alkalinity and Calcium Hardness, there seems to be a point that the color you are looking for shows up. I add another drop and it changes to that color a little more. I add another and it changes again. At this point, I can keep adding drops and it does not seem to make a difference.

Which one do I go with?? When it first changes or a few drops later when it hits that stable color????? Don't rake my over the coals too bad for asking. I am a little color blind and do my best
    Sincerely,
    Quinn
    Dallas, TX

24,000 Gallon Chlorine Pool
    In Ground Gunite
    Hayward Pro-Grid DE6020 D.E. Filter
    1.5 HP Hayward Northstar Pump
    Aquabot Robotic Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I reading the color change in the TA & CH test Correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by samo615
    I own the Taylor K-2006. I still occasionally take my water to the pool store to have them test it. Needless to say, they are always way off of my weekly readings that don't fluctuate much. I guess everyone reads results differently. I believe that I am right but I still have a question to make sure I am reading a few tests correctly:

How do you judge when the color changes? With the Alkalinity and Calcium Hardness, there seems to be a point that the color you are looking for shows up. I add another drop and it changes to that color a little more. I add another and it changes again. At this point, I can keep adding drops and it does not seem to make a difference.

Which one do I go with?? When it first changes or a few drops later when it hits that stable color????? Don't rake my over the coals too bad for asking. I am a little color blind and do my best
    The drop that gets no change doesn't count. Everything before it does. Capiche?

Meaning you add 16 and it starts to turn, at 18 it still changed, but 19 did nothing, 18 is your count.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Got it..Thanks.
    Sincerely,
    Quinn
    Dallas, TX

24,000 Gallon Chlorine Pool
    In Ground Gunite
    Hayward Pro-Grid DE6020 D.E. Filter
    1.5 HP Hayward Northstar Pump
    Aquabot Robotic Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you, I was wondering the same thing!
    5,000 Gallon 16'x 48" Intex Ultra Frame, Waterway 1hp sand filter, Intex SWG, AquaCritter, TF100
    Climate/Location: SW Iowa