Keeping the cover on

May 29, 2008
Apologies for the forthcoming block of text.

Swimming for me is 3/4 work and 1/4 play. Everytime I get in, I spend 45 minutes just walking around with the net scooping out leaves, dragonflies, flies, random dirt, etc, etc etc. "Why don't you have a cover on?" you ask? Most of the time I do, but it's an exercise in frustration at this point. It goes on fine. Looks great. The problem is that in order to get it off, the whole thing ends up in the pool, rendering it useless. Most of the time it's from rain settling on top or the cover just sinking in. The drain holes that are premade don't really let the rain go through to the pool. The only water they let pass through is from the body of the pool up onto the top of the cover. If it pours hard, the entire cover will just get knocked down the floor of the pool. Either way, the end result is that everything the cover stopped from going to the pool ends up going in anyway. If I wake up in the morning and the cover's chillin' at the bottom of the pool, I don't have time to fish it out, straighten it all out, and wrangle it back on by myself, so it stays uncovered until that evening, which wreaks havoc with both trying to keep it clean and maintain any chemical stability. Last year I stretched it as tight as I could, then hung weights (5 lb weights from my weight bench) from rubber clamps/bungee cords to keep the cover taught. My wife has forbid this redneck fix, so I'm back at square one. No matter how tight I tie the cords (which are now useless since the lining on the edge of the newest cover has ripped), water collects and the pool goes uncovered.

Any tips (other than massively increasing the number of floaty rings I use to prop the cover out of the water) for keeping a cover actually on the pool? Are all covers created equal? Is it my technique or lack thereof?

Solar blanket looks just like another cover. Don't really see how it would stay on any better. The only thing I can think of at this point is to get a bunch of thick Styrofoam sheets (like from large coolers or what not) and cut/arrange them so they just about cover the surface. The cover couldn't fall in then and would only sit on top of them/the pool to keep contaminants out of the water.

Protusmose said:
Solar blanket looks just like another cover. Don't really see how it would stay on any better.

It definitely is not. It has many thousand mini floats built in. Think heavy duty bubble wrap. You may still get some spill over at the edges but they wont sink. I have trees close by and usually just hose all the droppings to a sided near the skimmer and clean them off before going in and rolling up for removal.

1jjtroutbum said:
Protusmose said:
Solar blanket looks just like another cover. Don't really see how it would stay on any better.

It definitely is not. It has many thousand mini floats built in. Think heavy duty bubble wrap. You may still get some spill over at the edges but they wont sink. I have trees close by and usually just hose all the droppings to a sided near the skimmer and clean them off before going in and rolling up for removal.

Ditto - there is no comparison between the two, I tried that stupid leaf cover and put it away after two days of frustration and skimmed my pool daily until my solar cover arrived.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.