Back fill vermiculite before patching liner?

Jul 13, 2007
Finally found our leak...woohoo! :party: However, the leak has washed out about a 3-4 inch diameter of the vermiculite. The cut in the liner is in the angled wall in the deep end below the ladder. Not much of a chance that anyone will ever put pressure on it. Just wondering if a simple patch is good enough or is there a way to get something solid behind the liner before we patch? Thanks in advance!

I think it will be difficult to make an effective patch if you can't get, a reasonably smooth, solid surface underneath. However, I also can't think of a way to get that done in your situation. Others will likely be along with more experience in that area.

Without draining a LOT of water, filling the void in the vermiculite isn't going to happen :( (and going under the liner to do the vermiculite patch TRULY sucks, believe me :pukel: )

Do you have a piece of the liner that would match the floor? If so, put a small patch on the actual hole and a larger one that will cover the 'divot' (if you need some info on patching a liner, I've posted some tips & tricks here, I'll find them and link them if you need) :)

I did find some liner that we used for a patch to match the bottom. The patch seemed to work well so I am hoping that does the trick. Liner and pool are only a couple of years old so it would be nice if the patch held for a while! When we do replace the liner, we will have a good bit of patchwork to do on the vermiculite. In the mean time, we will just need to be careful around the ladder since the hole is under the first rung. If I could get the ladder out of the sockets, I would just take the ladder out. But since it won't budge, that's a project for another day!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.