Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to tell when to shock by smell.

1. Back To Top    #1

How to tell when to shock by smell.

ok I keep seeing people say when your pool gets that chlorine-y smell it is time to shock.

It will be a few weeks maybe longer before I can get either a CC tester or a FC tester, so that leads me to my question.

How much of a smell are we talking about. I can smell chlorine when I'm in the pool but I think thats normal.
    If I'm 10-15 feet away on my deck I can't smell it even with the wind blowing off the pool and towards me.
    So If my CCs where 0.5 or higher would it be a much more noticeable smell?

Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Intex 1600GPH Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How to tell when to shock by smell.

You need to get a test kit that will test for you. YOu will have no luck managing a pool by smell.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I can't smell chlorine standing in the pool even with my nose right near the water. Each person is different so it's hard to say shock by smell. Without a good kit you can't tell what your FC really is so you're sort of guessing. That's certainly better than not shockingl, but a good test kit is what you need.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

ok I guess I will have to spend the "dough" on a new kit.

Im leaning towards the TF-100 is that a good test kit or is there better at a reasonable price?
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

The kit will be the key...but I can tell you even when I was shocking the last time, FC numbers in the 20s...I didn't smell chlorine.
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I wouldn't even consider anything but the TF-100! Unless of course it was the TF-100XL.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by poolnew-b
    Im leaning towards the TF-100 is that a good test kit or is there better at a reasonable price?
    Short answers... yes, it is a very good test kit and no, there is not any better at a reasonable price.

There are cheaper kits with less of the tests that you need, and more expensive kits with all the tests you need but less material to do the tests. This kit is the best value that gives you the tests you need and a lot of the reagents to do them. Fast delivery, great service, and almost everyone here uses this kit so almost anyone here can help you with questions.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I wouldn't even consider anything but the TF-100! Unless of course it was the TF-100XL.
    My B-day is thurs guess I will tell the wife I want 1 of the 2.

Kind of a crazy thing to ask for my Bday, but I love testing the water and having control of my pool.

I was just in the pool and I have very a great sense of smell, I could just barely smell the chlorine but I think its cause its killing the bacteria on my sweaty body. IDK lol

I do remember last year we had a smaller pool and I was useing pucks for the chlorine and I could smell chlorine 2 houses down the road. Very strong odor. Glad It was only up for a week or so before /I got my bigger intex. Im sure it was becoming a bacteria hotel. I had no test kit or clue what I was doing last year. but this year things are going much smoother with the help of TFP.

I think next year I will switch to BBB.
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Every once in a while I can detect a faint whiff if we've just had a heavy rain and the sun pops up full and my nose is right on the water piddling around doing stuff. Normal pool operation--------never.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

10. Back To Top    #10

The TF kit is awesome...when I found this site I didn't know squat... with coutless hours of reading posts and asking questions.. my pool is crystal clear and down to $2.63 in bleach last week.... granted I keep my cover on alot.... couple of my tips..when you order the kit get extra supplies for the chlorine test..I had quite a bit algae in my pool and went through alot of bleach..and you do alot of tests for clorine.. .and saves on shipping charges.. and shocking a pool is not just a one time shot and done.. its pretty amazing and can take some time and work.... but in the end its all worth it.. the people on here are very helpful.. hope that helps. .great luck with your pool.. scott
    20000 gal. 28' round
    1.5 hp pump
    3.5 and 6 deep
    22" round meteor sand filter
    tf-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

The TF-100 will quickly pay for itself in savings on chemicals.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by scott6824
    The TF kit is awesome...when I found this site I didn't know squat... with coutless hours of reading posts and asking questions.. my pool is crystal clear and down to $2.63 in bleach last week.... granted I keep my cover on alot.... couple of my tips..when you order the kit get extra supplies for the chlorine test..I had quite a bit algae in my pool and went through alot of bleach..and you do alot of tests for clorine.. .and saves on shipping charges.. and shocking a pool is not just a one time shot and done.. its pretty amazing and can take some time and work.... but in the end its all worth it.. the people on here are very helpful.. hope that helps. .great luck with your pool.. scott
    Ya this site is great.
    Im still learning and reading alot on here.
    almost definite i will switch too the BBB method next year .
    Also trying to get the wife to get me the TF-100XL
    We will be getting a cover soon but my kids spend a lot of time in the pool so it will only be on during rain storms and cooler days.
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Taylor K-2005 test kit