Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should have...?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should have...?

Hello,

We are going with a fiberglass pool and have made our selection on an installer. I have range of 30-35K but would like to know what those with existing pools would have or should have done differently at the time of the install? Any features you wish you would have added? Any that you did add that you don't feel was worth the extra cost?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should have...?

Check the prevailing winds and put a skimmer as far downwind as you can. Mine is on the side, but the wind blows debris right past it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Check the prevailing winds and put a skimmer as far downwind as you can. Mine is on the side, but the wind blows debris right past it.
    YES!

If only the builders thought like that
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

4. Back To Top    #4

id say unless you have the extra money to spend, most upgrades arent worth it. Maybe a heater.

if you have some extra cash, throwing in a color logic light would be cool. um... ok and a waterfall lol
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

5. Back To Top    #5

"Oversize" all in ground plumbing and run extra underground wiring for potential future electrical/lighting upgrades.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

If you can afford it and have space, get about twice as much decking as you think you need.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Put the pressure side cleaner connector on the deep end so the cleaner sinks out of the way when not in use.

Oversize plumbing (pipe diameter) yes!

Put 2 returns over every step or tanning ledge to help clean them.

Add one extra return on the deep end about half way down for better water circulation and reduced stratification.

If it works for your climate buy a heat pump for heater or add solar (extra solar).
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

8. Back To Top    #8

Saltwater chlorinator!
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

9. Back To Top    #9

Wow!

Thanks for all the feedback and great ideas.

10. Back To Top    #10

Great topic!

We just completed our fiberglass install and here is what I wish we would have done.

- Waterline tile
    - Some sort of water feature

We have Leisure Moroccan 38 and our builder offered a small waterfall that looked like a thin slit that would have looked great where my pool curves in. He wanted $650 and by that time we were so over budget that I could not tolerate the additional expense. Same for the tile. Looking back, I really wish we bit the bullet and did them both.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG