Anyone know whats in Pathmark Home basics bleach??

May 19, 2010
Central NJ
I bought bleach at Pathmark here in NJ and it was $1.69 a gallon. It says nothing about the concentration on the bottle. It has a yellow label that says HOMEBASICS BLEACH. Made in Canada and dist. buy on-point in Montvale NJ.

My pool had .5 FC reading and after adding 44 oz to 6200 gal pool the FC was higher then 5. My test only goes to 5 and I am thinking around FC 7 because it was way darker then FC 5 on the test tube comparison. I put 44 oz in the pool calculator and the only way it would be FC 7 withh 44oz if it was 12.5% bleach.

COULD THIS BE?

I suppose it's possible. If so, I'd go buy a month's worth at those prices!

I believe they underrate bleach knowing it will lose some strength just sitting in warehouses and on the shelf. This time of year, it moves faster, so it hasn't had time to degrade. But double strength seems like overkill.

If you have the FAS-DPD test you'll be able to tell exactly how high your FC goes. You could try diluting your sample water 50% with some distilled water and see what you get then; it won't be entirely accurate, but better than "off the scale."

Do I times the reading by 2 then?
Yep. Diluting the sample 50-50 with distilled water will mean that the reading you get is half of the actual value. It also means that the accuracy is cut by half as well.

So the bleach doesn't list any ingredients at all? Does it smell like regular bleach?

Chlorine free is the crucial thing. I would use the chlorine test to confirm that your tap water has zero chlorine as a double check first, just because some people have systems that add chlorine to well water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.