Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar covers

1. Back To Top    #1

solar covers

Last season my solar cover started to tear. So I threw it out. This year I had forgotten that I tossed it.
    I started up the pool got the chemical levels up to par and opened up the valves to the heater. At this point, I realized that I had no solar cover. I found that I had to increase the chlorine feeder from a 1 3/4 setting to over 7 to maintain chemical par. Plus I had to keep adding 3" tabs to the feeder. Once I woke up to this enigma, I ordered a solar cover. I am now back on an even keel. I figure the solar cover saves me its cost every year (in chemicals). My neighbor has a reel and I note that the cover is usually rolled up and stays there.

At any rate, it is a pain to remove and replace. Plus it takes up a lot of deck space. (above ground pool with a 40' hexagon shaped deck surrounding). My wife has poo pooed the idea of a reel.

My question is .... has anyone tried the solar pills. My UPS driver told me he uses them and loves them. It just doesn't sound Kosher to me.

I guess I should say this vast increase in chemical usage is what brought me to this site. And I am contemplating the BBB system. I actually located and purchased some Borax. But for now, I have an abundance of Chlorine tabs.

Have a great day ! ! ! !
    Dr Peter Warren
    308 Amber Valley ( 29° 28.490'S, 30° 14.635'E)
    24 Woolly Lane
    Private Bag X30
    Howick 3290
    South Africa

Mobile +27 73 8071986, Fax 086 5492 943 (SA only), Home +27 33 2395 308
    Email PeterRWarren@gmail.com, Peter.Warren@iuncapped.co.za
    Twitter PeterRWarren

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: solar covers

Google search, bottom left corner for "solar pills".

The don't work. Also if you haven't read Pool School yet, that's a great place to start. I'm wondering what your CYA level is...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

You can always save those tabs for times away from home, heavy bather loads, pumping out rain water and the like. Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I just purchased a more in depth test kit. My CYA is LOWWW like at 0. Will pick up some stabilizer when I can.
    Dr Peter Warren
    308 Amber Valley ( 29° 28.490'S, 30° 14.635'E)
    24 Woolly Lane
    Private Bag X30
    Howick 3290
    South Africa

Mobile +27 73 8071986, Fax 086 5492 943 (SA only), Home +27 33 2395 308
    Email PeterRWarren@gmail.com, Peter.Warren@iuncapped.co.za
    Twitter PeterRWarren