Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Very small flakes in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Very small flakes in pool

Hello all:

This is my first year with a new pool, and I have been getting excellent advice from everyone here along the way.

Recent test results......

FC: 4.5
    CC: 0.5
    TC: 5.0
    pH: 7.8
    T/A: 90
    CH: 200
    CYA: 40

Water is clear and bright, looks great. A couple of weeks ago, I added some calcium chloride to get the CH up a little. Ever since then, we have had these small (maybe 3/8" square or so) "flakes" that show up in the water. I do not recall seeing them floating prior to adding the calcium (though they may have been there). We run our filter 24 hrs per day, yet they are still there.

Any thoughts?
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Very small flakes in pool

Sounds like it is the calcium that is coming off of your SWCG when it reverses polarity. Your CH numbers are good (great!), but if there is any build up on the cell, when it reverses polarity it kicks them off (back into the pool!). The cleaner should pick them up once they settle to the bottom, or they may go back in suspension of your pH goes down a bit.

3. Back To Top    #3

You would probably find things work out better for you if you raise your CYA a little and lower your PH.

Read:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ater_generator
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Bruce / FPM:

Thanks! I do realize I am a bit out of balance with CYA and pH, and maybe a little on CH.

Is there a better test for pH than the Taylor test that comes with the TF-100 kit? I have a tough time matching up colors and prefer just counting drops.

I'll take a look at the salt cell to see if there are any flakes there. Any idea why these would not get caught in the cart filter?
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

No, there isn't any drop counting test for PH. There are some electronic PH meters that are fairly good, but they are around $100. I've found that the Taylor PH test can be read fairly easily once you have some practice with it. Getting a sun lit white surface behind the vial when you are viewing it also helps a great deal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Winger 03

I'll take a look at the salt cell to see if there are any flakes there. Any idea why these would not get caught in the cart filter?
    If it is plumbed properly, it is after the filter, so the flakes cannot get caught there unless they are sucked up by your pool cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Bruce:

Yes, it is after the filter. I was thinking that they would get sucked in through the main drain or skimmer. I'll try using the "finer" bag on my cleaner to see if that works.

Jason:

I'll keep at it getting tbetter at the pH color match.

Thanks to all for the help.
    Jim