Vegasmom's Pool Build

Vegasmom said:
Hi all,

I'm new here but wanted to share what we have so far on our pool construction. We started at the end of June. Excavation, plumbing, steel, electrical, and gunite all went smoothly. We are going to be delayed for another month, however..due to a change in tile selection. That's what happens when you decide on something and don't start for 9 months :)

We have been very pleased with our builder, Smart Pools. I had seen a couple of their pools in person while doing a tour of homes here.
When the pool is completed, we will most likely have someone maintenance for us. My mind doesn't relate well to chemistry but I'd like to learn at least the basics. This seems like a great place for info.

I must admit to not knowing a lot about all the equipment, but here's a listing of what we've got.

Intellichlor SWG
MPulse 3000 (for calcium buildup)
Pentair Sam lights in pool and spa
Paramount MDX in floor cleaning
Sta Rite pumps, filter, 400btu heater (I think we have 3 pumps?)
Intellitouch EZ 8 automation w/ wireless indoor remote and 4 button spa side
2 auto ig. firepots and 1 firepit next to built-in benches
10' stainless steel rain WF
3 glass lined uplit 'shadow boxes' on center feature wall (behind rain curtain)
3 side infinity Raised spa w/ 8 jets
8' wet deck
Wet Edge Altima white

We have 15 ft. from the edge of the patio to the back property wall. Our pool will be 10'6 - 15' wide where the pool steps cut in under the patio. We have 60' in length from where the spa starts to the sunken firepit at the other end.
We also have planned a deck area next to the spa, and on the opposite side, an outdoor kitchen and dining area.

I'm researching grills and trying to figure out my shade. Landscaping bids are coming in (yikes!) My goal is end of year for everything.

Here's a few pics so far (I only have video of excavation, no pics :(

This is the new selection of tiles. The multi-color rectangle mosaic is part of the delay. We're doing a custom using only 2 of the colors. Taking out the bright blue and silver. And I switched the waterline to the dark brown tile. I know, dark *and* textured. I've got my brush ready 8)

100_0736.jpg

100_0681.jpg

100_0686.jpg

100_0683.jpg

I have to finish uploading and I'll post the gunite pics. Then, sadly, it will be awhile before I have any more.

crabboy said:
You have mud, I have a ton of dust. Don't know which is worse!

And I've got both :eek:

I don't like the mud and the neighbors don't like the dust. So my vote is: mud is worse.

I can see how mud could be a disaster with a dog! The dust is relentless, though. Between that and the dog hair, I've taken to leaving the Dyson in the corner. :cry:

Thanks, Kevin. As a matter of fact, I spent a couple hours there the other night. I am amazed at what some people have done! Very droolworthy outdoor kitchens :-D We are by no means DIY'ers, but there are some inspiring ideas over there. I wouldn't have given thought to installing lighting under the counters but I will now!

Karin

Well, the EMT's just left. They had to resuscitate me. PB called a little while ago and told me the price of the new waterline tile I picked. The brown textured tile that comes from Canada, and apparantly has gold hidden inside, is $44 per tile. I need 248 pieces, adding $8k to my price. That doesn't include the other fancy- schmancy air freighted from China Spectra glass I picked.

Hubby knows me well, I have an innate ability to pick the most expensive thing every time. He doesn't know this yet, and I don't think it's gonna go over well. Today's his birthday. Happy Birthday, honey! :-D

Does anyone have a spare room? I cook and clean....

HOLY ****!!! I am speechless.....

Your pool build looks awsome. I can not wait to see the finish product either. The right side, what is that? Is that the fire pit?

edit by divnkd101 - Please keep the language respectable.

Yikes....yeah, I am the same way though and my wife is always giving me a hard time about picking the best of everything. I am sure your husband will forgive you.....someday!

Andiejj, was at Joe's yesterday looking at his pool and he pointed out your house...almost came over and beat on your door with my snorkel and flippers...if only I would have had all three of my kids, it would have been so much more entertaining for me!

Thanks, Andrea. Yep, that's firepit on the right side. We're doing a small round raised about 12".

I've got 2 other options on the tile. It's insanity to spend that. I'd rather put that money into landscaping or my outdoor kitchen. I would love to have it, but even my designer said "It ain't that special for that cost". I have to agree. A company called Ultra Glas makes a textured tile..they're sending me a sample (and I'm waiting for a price quote before I get my hopes up again) The other one is Reflections in Glass and I know they're reasonable.

I'll post a pic as soon as I pick, haha....

Now I'm off to give the hubby his B-day gift :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Karin,

Try Prosource for tile. I've bought tile and carpet there in the past and none of my local tile stores could touch their prices. Anyone can go look at the showroom but their official policy is to only sell to contractors. I guess I was nice and they sold directly to me using someone elses contractor number. They also have tiered pricing based on how much product the contractor buys.

I checked and they have a location in Vegas.

Kevin

crabboy said:
Now I'm off to give the hubby his B-day gift

Talk about last minute. ;)

Haha, I was cutting it close. Almost wasn't his b-day anymore. Martinis at dinner and he didn't care :wink:

cobra46 said:
Karin,

Try Prosource for tile. I've bought tile and carpet there in the past and none of my local tile stores could touch their prices. Anyone can go look at the showroom but their official policy is to only sell to contractors. I guess I was nice and they sold directly to me using someone elses contractor number. They also have tiered pricing based on how much product the contractor buys.

I checked and they have a location in Vegas.

Kevin

Yep, I've passed by it many times in my travels. That's actually who my builder used for some of the tile for the house. Probably won't help with the pool tile I really want, but I'll check into it anyway. Thanks.

I've heard that about prices there. Europe's high, too. I keep trying to 'splain to the hubby how fair this all is :-D

Kevin, where are you? Come to Vegas so I can give you a big hug! Went to ProSource and sweet talked 'em down to $3,900 for that tile. Plus, I've got a credit coming from PB that may bring it down even more. Turns out we were already paying for an upgraded tile, so we adjust the difference. Hubby's OK with a couple grand on that. Fingers crossed!

Then I only need to break it to him that we owe $900 for air freight from China for the other glass. I've been keeping that to myself in hopes I can get PB to pay for it :twisted: We've sent them quite a few referrals in the last 2 months.

Wish me luck!

Unfortunately, no progress yet. The tile finally got ordered last Wednesday. I'm waiting to hear on ETA but it looks like it'll be 4-6 wks. As soon as I can update, I will :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.