Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegasmom's Pool Build

1. Back To Top    #1

Vegasmom's Pool Build

Hi all,

I'm new here but wanted to share what we have so far on our pool construction. We started at the end of June. Excavation, plumbing, steel, electrical, and gunite all went smoothly. We are going to be delayed for another month, however..due to a change in tile selection. That's what happens when you decide on something and don't start for 9 months

We have been very pleased with our builder, Smart Pools. I had seen a couple of their pools in person while doing a tour of homes here.
    When the pool is completed, we will most likely have someone maintenance for us. My mind doesn't relate well to chemistry but I'd like to learn at least the basics. This seems like a great place for info.

I must admit to not knowing a lot about all the equipment, but here's a listing of what we've got.

Intellichlor SWG
    MPulse 3000 (for calcium buildup)
    Pentair Sam lights in pool and spa
    Paramount MDX in floor cleaning
    Sta Rite pumps, filter, 400btu heater (I think we have 3 pumps?)
    Intellitouch EZ 8 automation w/ wireless indoor remote and 4 button spa side
    2 auto ig. firepots and 1 firepit next to built-in benches
    10' stainless steel rain WF
    3 glass lined uplit 'shadow boxes' on center feature wall (behind rain curtain)
    3 side infinity Raised spa w/ 8 jets
    8' wet deck
    Wet Edge Altima white

We have 15 ft. from the edge of the patio to the back property wall. Our pool will be 10'6 - 15' wide where the pool steps cut in under the patio. We have 60' in length from where the spa starts to the sunken firepit at the other end.
    We also have planned a deck area next to the spa, and on the opposite side, an outdoor kitchen and dining area.

I'm researching grills and trying to figure out my shade. Landscaping bids are coming in (yikes!) My goal is end of year for everything.

Here's a few pics so far (I only have video of excavation, no pics

This is the new selection of tiles. The multi-color rectangle mosaic is part of the delay. We're doing a custom using only 2 of the colors. Taking out the bright blue and silver. And I switched the waterline to the dark brown tile. I know, dark *and* textured. I've got my brush ready 8)

I have to finish uploading and I'll post the gunite pics. Then, sadly, it will be awhile before I have any more.
    No Cover Charge
    17,000 gal IG w/ raised 8' spillover spa, 3M plaster, 10' stainless rain WF, Pentair SAM lights, Sta-Rite Sys3 cart. filter, Intellichlor SWG, 400kBTU Gas Heater, Paramount IF Cleaners, ET-8 Wireless Remote

2. Back To Top    #2
    WOW! You're really packing it in there! That's going to be one nice area with the covered patio and all.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3
    4 pumps! Wow!
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Wow..I cant believe the amount of PVC piping that are used on these gunite pools!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Yeah, vegasmom is going to be getting a LOT of action in her pool.......Ahem!
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ktdave

now just what are you talking about Dave?
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ktdave

ROFL..I hope so

Here's some with gunite

No Cover Charge
    17,000 gal IG w/ raised 8' spillover spa, 3M plaster, 10' stainless rain WF, Pentair SAM lights, Sta-Rite Sys3 cart. filter, Intellichlor SWG, 400kBTU Gas Heater, Paramount IF Cleaners, ET-8 Wireless Remote

8. Back To Top    #8
    Your build looks great! It is amazing how much you have managed to fit into a small space.

I am extremely skeptical of the MPulse 3000. I don't believe it will do much of anything aside from waste money. Everything else on your list looks fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9
    Of course I meant WATER action !

Tagprod, that threadjack thing is hilarious!
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

That's very nice. I can't wait to see water in it. Curious to know what's going to be in the center, you've got pipes sticking out everywhere.

Wouldn't want to see your electric bill though.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

11. Back To Top    #11
    Cool Pool!

Dave, you should really try and behave yourself!
    Jay
    36' x19' Freeform, 16' waterfall w/ groto and slide, 5' x 10' sundeck, 12" raised spa. Pentair IntelliTouch, Pentair IntelliFlo 4 x 160, Master Temp 400, IntelliChlor Chlorine generator, Aqua Blue PebbleSheen

12. Back To Top    #12
    Jason, I'm skeptical of the MPulse, too. Hopefully, it will work. One of the family members at the Pool co. has one, and he says you can see little flecks of white floating around, but they don't stick to anything. Then it's supposed to make it all water soluble. We'll see..

crabboy, the middle wall has a water feature going across the top, and the pipes coming up out of the boxes are for recessed lights. You don't wanna know about our power bills. We've got 5 A/C units.

And of course, it's WATER action. Uh-huh.

*edited* You're not crabby, you're crabboy!
    No Cover Charge

13. Back To Top    #13
    You have used up every square inch! I saw the dog and the look on that face just says she's wondering what you did with the bathroom?!

I have to say, I love the tile selection and CAN NOT wait to see it filled up!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

*edited* You're not crabby, you're crabboy!
    LOL, That's ok, I can go for either.

Gary
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

15. Back To Top    #15

4 pumps!! 5 a/c units!! I would love to see a photocopy of that electric bill!!!

16. Back To Top    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck
    4 pumps!! 5 a/c units!! I would love to see a photocopy of that electric bill!!!
    Gah! I'd have to sell my house to be able to afford the electricity!

Love what you've done with the place, tho!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

17. Back To Top    #17
    Regarding the power bills, my hubby is trying to blame the majority of it on my green friend (see my introduction post) LOL, he figures he can justify getting rid of him then. Not!
    I may have to have paddles ready once we startup the pool, though

MamaG, I drove myself crazy deciding on those tiles! I'm excited about the new selection and think it will be very dramatic.
    And our dog, Sam...poor thing. He's used to going to the bathroom on that side. There is beautiful green grass on the other end of the yard and he won't use it. Hopefully by the time the deck goes in, he'll have adjusted!

Karin
    No Cover Charge

18. Back To Top    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasmom
    And our dog, Sam...poor thing. He's used to going to the bathroom on that side. There is beautiful green grass on the other end of the yard and he won't use it. Hopefully by the time the deck goes in, he'll have adjusted!
    My dogs had to undergo a major "bathroom" change during our build. I had to take them on a leash in the front yard cause it was (still is until I lay my sod) so muddy near the pool. What a PITA!
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

19. Back To Top    #19

What an interesting pool build. I can hardly wait to see the finished pool. Do you have any concept drawings or pics to share?

Your patio area and back yard look so similar to my DD's new home. They are planning on putting in a pool the first of the year.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

20. Back To Top    #20
    My dogs had to undergo a major "bathroom" change during our build. I had to take them on a leash in the front yard cause it was (still is until I lay my sod) so muddy near the pool. What a PITA!
    You have mud, I have a ton of dust. Don't know which is worse!

Buggsw, you'd laugh if you saw all our concept drawings. We started planning this well over a year ago. Basically it was my design but it got tweaked a few times. Once for practicality, another for cost Originally, we were going to owner build.

I have one from the pool company (those pretty little drawings they give you that wind up changing!) I've misplaced it, but I don't have a scanner anyway. I can try taking a pic of the plans if you want. Let me know, and I'd be happy to.
    No Cover Charge

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast