Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hand rail or no hand rail

1. Back To Top    #1

Hand rail or no hand rail

Hello,

we are currently building an in ground 18 x 36 ft roman pool with steel walls and vinyl liner. Our question is do we need a hand rail on the 11 ft roman stairs. I never see any in any pictures, but our pool kit supplier says we should have them.

Opinions please.

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shasta IGP - ~13,000 gal. - Pebbletec - Spa - Waterfall - Cartridge - Propane - Intellichlor SWG - VS-3050 - Easytouch - fiber optics

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hand rail or no hand rail

I would say yes, vinyl liners can be very slippery at times.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

though they may detract visually overall from the long view, handrails are also inviting - there is a feeling of safety and women want to feel graceful descending. for kids it is an active zone - the rail is part of games, a built in mechanism to practice floating, and a visual cue of safe depth.
    33K IG 1967 45' X 20' Roman 4-8 ft plaster/gunite. Triton Sand, 1.5 HP pump. Indoor with Screen Atrium top. Bought a Swamp with Nails Glass and Trash with An Algae Encrusted Astroturf Surround. On par and thankful to TFP since 4/2010. A good test kit is your friend! Using a K-2006, refills from TFTest kits.

4. Back To Top    #4

Definite yes vote for the handrails.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Absolutely a must!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm always different. I have no rails or ladders on my pool (swim-out in deep end), and I like it that way. No old ladies around here, though. Kids have plenty to do in a pool; they won't complain--and it's one less thing for them to bang their heads on.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for your input. Hand railing it is.

Cheers
    Shasta IGP - ~13,000 gal. - Pebbletec - Spa - Waterfall - Cartridge - Propane - Intellichlor SWG - VS-3050 - Easytouch - fiber optics

8. Back To Top    #8

Removable

Hi

I would think that most handrails are removable--hopefully yours can be too, giving you the option of having it in place or not.

You don't say where you are located. Do you live in a part of the country where you would close your pool for the winter? Will you be putting a cover on your pool? Most handrails can come out so that the cover can go on. (There are probably exceptions to this.)

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

9. Back To Top    #9

[quote="piggyfarmers"]though they may detract visually overall from the long view, handrails are also inviting - there is a feeling of safety and women want to feel graceful descending.

Graceful? What the heck is that... I Cannonball woo hoo~~
    ~_~ Sherry ~_~
    24' Round AGP, 13,500gal, 1.5hp Hayward
    Cartridge
    TF100 Test Kit BBB Baby!!!