On Monday June 28 tested using TFT Test Kit and got the following readings;

0 FC
.5 TC
.5 CC
95 TA
7.6 PH
108 CH
40 CYA
Just to verify took sample to pool store and my readings and Pool Store were right in-line except for CYA they showed 19. AT their suggestion I added 3 lbs of stabilizer waited 12 hours, tested CYA again and I show about 55 CYA, then shocked 2.5 lbs turbo shock.

For the past several days of monitoring chlorine I still get no chlorine readings using either the quick test or the drop test.

23,000 gal vinyl in-ground pool
Sand Filter
1.5 HP pump

Hey, Kerry,
Welcome to the forum. :lol:

then shocked 2.5 lbs turbo shock.
No, you didn't shock....you simply added a big dose of chlorine. Go up to Pool School and read the article on How to Shock your Pool. You will find it is a process that extends over a period of time and will require multiple doses of chlorine......not just one.

Please do not use any more stabilizer.....you're as high as you want to be.

You would be better off calculating how much Clorox to put in your pool to shock (we're happy to help.....you're gonna' need a bunch.....more than you realize) rather than following the pool store advice. Have you found the pool calculator? It's in my sig.

Also, verify that the turbo-shock you used was actually chlorine-based (probably calcium hypochlorite) rather than sodium monopersulfate. Sounds unlikely that you were given the wrong thing but I have met some really dopey pool store guys (with all due respect). Then, just stick with the advice of the experts (not me, but anyone listed as a Special Contributor is a good bet). Remember, shock is a process, not a product. (I've been wanting to say that, ha! ha! but since I switched to BBB and have followed TFP I have not had to shock, knock wood).

I did some hunting... Turboshock is Calcium Hypochlorite.

For a pool your size, 2½ lbs will raise FC 9.4ppm, CH by 6.7, Salt by 0.6.

IF your CYA is only 55 (test again to be sure), normal FC is 4 to 9. Shock level is 17.

You got only into maintenance zone once, several days ago, and nowhere near shock level, not even for an instant. Luckily, your CH isn't high, so no harm done there.

You have the test kit, now you need to read How to Shock your Pool, and load up on bleach. Or liquid chlorine from pool store or Lowes; same stuff just stronger. Get comfortable using Pool Calculator, as well. With diligence, you can have a sparkling pool with balanced chemicals by next weekend.

The CH test is only valid in increments of 10. i.e....100, 120, 180, etc. The 108 you posted concerns me that that test is in error. Please confirm your accurate CH results before you continue to use Cal Hypo.

Once your Calcium levels get too high, they are amazingly difficult to lower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.