Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Insert to make pool more shallow

Insert to make pool more shallow

I am building a 2-lane-wide exercise lap pool that has depth 4' at each end and 6' in the middle.
    I would like to put something that I think of as a large plastic rectangular "insert" into one 4' end to make it shallow enough for little kid visitors. Maybe the insert is filled with water or attached to clasps to keep it submerged.
    Has anyone seen a commercial product like this?
    Thanks.

-- DMA
    ----------------
    10,000 gallon indoor lap pool, IG (in ground)
    Pentair IntelliFlo VF high-performance programmable pump; Pentair Model #CCP320 (No DE) Clean & Clear Cartridge
    Pentair Model #300 Rainbow Brominator; Delta Model #E/ES40 UV Sanitizer
    LED lights, Diamondbrite Pearl Blue finish, electric pool cover with stone lid detail and coded keypad control
    All equipment at ground level (not basement)

Re: Insert to make pool more shallow

DMA, welcome to TFP!
    I've haven't seen anything commercially available to do that, but some folks here have built platforms out of PVC pipe and acrylic. Maybe one of them will stop by and help!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

I have seen these here in Toronto. They use them at pools to teach toddlers to swim. It makes the pool shallower for them to be able to stand.

Thanks for the responses.

Shaf77, do you remember any of the specific pools where you have seen this type of insert? I am willing to call around to find the name of a manufacturer, or even just get a photo so I might build something similar.

-- DMA

-------------
    no pool yet, but a large hole in the ground
    ----------------
    Pentair IntelliFlo VF high-performance programmable pump; Pentair Model #CCP320 (No DE) Clean & Clear Cartridge
    LED lights, Diamondbrite Pearl Blue finish, electric pool cover with stone lid detail and coded keypad control

Trying to keep that pool sanitary would be a monumental task. The poor circulation under that insert would probably hold 2-3000 lbs of slime mould. I would never attempt it.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by DMA
    Thanks for the responses.

Shaf77, do you remember any of the specific pools where you have seen this type of insert? I am willing to call around to find the name of a manufacturer, or even just get a photo so I might build something similar.

-- DMA

-------------

Almost all city pools here in Toronto use them for lessons. I have no idea what they are called but am trying to find out for you

DMA,

I think I was a little hasty in my post above. I was envisioning a closed, plastic structure that would preclude any circulation under or in it.

However, how about something like a removable deck? I could envision something with legs sitting in the shallow end where water could circulate under and even up through it. That should resolve the mold and algae issues. It could have a type of "Railing" on the deep end side so they wouldn't inadvertently fall off.

Getting it in and out of the pool may present a problem, though.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

I get some results by googling "swimming pool teaching platform", but it all seems pretty expensive. Looks like there's PVC/plastic or aluminum ones available - I know that the pools in my community where my kids took lessons all have aluminum platforms that look like heavy-duty folding card tables with short, sturdy legs.
    17' x 25' x 48" Laguna "Portable" Pool (~12,000 Gallons)
    Intex 8111 SWG, Pump, and Filter
    3 Fafco AGP 4 x 20 Solar Bear Panels
    Dirt Devil "Pool Boy" (Pool Rover Jr.)
    BBB and a SWG make my pool care really E-Z

Yep, these matches that come up under a search for "swimming pool teaching platform" are along the lines of what I'm imagining. Thanks for the suggestions.

http://www.tropicalpenguin.com/Swim_TEA ... TFORM.html

http://www.brockent.com/CategoryView.asp?CategoryId=442

-- DMA

-------------
    ----------------