Pool Liner Underlayment

Jul 10, 2010
SOUTH FLORIDA
Just my experience : I installed my aboveground Intex 16' round pool a couple of months ago and used 1 1/2 inch thick styrofoam sheets under the liner. After leveling the ground, I just laid the styrofoam (4 x 8 sheets) down on the ground - taped the seams - put the ground cloth over the top and installed the pool. Feels very smooth and cushy underfoot. The styrofoam only cost me about $50.00

Is the foam still holding up for you? Next year we want to put a concrete pad for the pool to sit on, so I dont want to WASTE putting all that sand sown only to remove it to pour the pad.

Are you talking about the Pink or Blue sheets from like Home Depot or Lowes or something? We were thinking about carpet or padding as a temporary underlayment, but that will be pricey. My pool is the 24 foot Intex.

1 1/2 or 2 inch foam is the way to go. I have been using it for quite a while now. (5-7 years not sure anymore). Do not use the white, use the pink, blue or yellow. What I have done is level the ground, put the foam in place, cover with a heavy duty tarp (I have always used a HD silver tarp not that cheap blue tarp that comes with the pool) and setup the pool.

mcoonan said:
1 1/2 or 2 inch foam is the way to go. I have been using it for quite a while now. (5-7 years not sure anymore). Do not use the white, use the pink, blue or yellow. What I have done is level the ground, put the foam in place, cover with a heavy duty tarp (I have always used a HD silver tarp not that cheap blue tarp that comes with the pool) and setup the pool.

I actually did use the white styrofoam sheets - but other than that - same / same. Only been a few months but was the most cost effective (CHEAP) way of doing it. Other benefit : feels very soft and cushy underfoot. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.