Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Pool Liner Underlayment

Pool Liner Underlayment

Just my experience : I installed my aboveground Intex 16' round pool a couple of months ago and used 1 1/2 inch thick styrofoam sheets under the liner. After leveling the ground, I just laid the styrofoam (4 x 8 sheets) down on the ground - taped the seams - put the ground cloth over the top and installed the pool. Feels very smooth and cushy underfoot. The styrofoam only cost me about $50.00

Re: Pool Liner Underlayment

Thanks for the tip; I hope it works out well for you!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

Is the foam still holding up for you? Next year we want to put a concrete pad for the pool to sit on, so I dont want to WASTE putting all that sand sown only to remove it to pour the pad.

Are you talking about the Pink or Blue sheets from like Home Depot or Lowes or something? We were thinking about carpet or padding as a temporary underlayment, but that will be pricey. My pool is the 24 foot Intex.
    Intex 24'X52" Round
    2500 GHP pump
    Northern Utah
    13,000+ gallons

1 1/2 or 2 inch foam is the way to go. I have been using it for quite a while now. (5-7 years not sure anymore). Do not use the white, use the pink, blue or yellow. What I have done is level the ground, put the foam in place, cover with a heavy duty tarp (I have always used a HD silver tarp not that cheap blue tarp that comes with the pool) and setup the pool.
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by mcoonan
    1 1/2 or 2 inch foam is the way to go. I have been using it for quite a while now. (5-7 years not sure anymore). Do not use the white, use the pink, blue or yellow. What I have done is level the ground, put the foam in place, cover with a heavy duty tarp (I have always used a HD silver tarp not that cheap blue tarp that comes with the pool) and setup the pool.
    I actually did use the white styrofoam sheets - but other than that - same / same. Only been a few months but was the most cost effective (CHEAP) way of doing it. Other benefit : feels very soft and cushy underfoot.

how is the white foam holding up ??
    Intex 12 by 24, Intex 2600 sand filter (soon to upgrade), deck under construction