first post from newbie....need help in thailand

Jul 10, 2010
Glad to be a new member. I am about to put water in a new 100% tiled pool in Thailand. I am far away from any towns, and the builder claims to know about startup, but I am not so sure.
The pool is 11 meters by 4.5 meters and holds 58000 litres. I have a new salt water generator (that I understand should be left off).
Please give me some advice for checking that all is going ok. I would like to know some initial steps to take. Step one is to buy the best trucked water I can get.
Thanks.

Attachments

• thailand summer 2010 006.jpg
    thailand summer 2010 006.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 120
Welcome to TFP!!

I think it's great that folks from overseas come here to learn how to properly maintain their pools :goodjob: :party: :whoot:

Once the water is in the pool, you need to check and adjust the pH to be between 7.2 and 7.8 and add some chlorine to the water before it has a chance to turn on you!

Of course the alk, CH and cya will be important, but those 2 parameters are what you need to start with, the others can wait a week or so, until you can test the water properly.

It's been said over and over here, but being able to properly test your water is KEY to taking control of your pool, unfortunately I don't think Dave is allowed to ship TF 100 kits abroad :( I wonder if Frank has an answer to where to get a decent test kit?

We'll 'have your back' all the way and do all we can, from afar, to keep your pool trouble free :-D

thanks for the quick reply!!!
I am trucking water in right now. It is clear....but a little lime green in color (the best well water in the area). Anyway...the cost per truck delivered and pumped is only $4 for 2200 litres (so will ask again after 20 trucks come). Thailand is great. ps, several years ago I used the BBB method for my pool in Vancouver...great water and very inexpensive to run with this system. rick

Tile has grout between the tiles. Most kinds of grout are made primarily of plaster. Unless you are using an epoxy grout, a tile pool should be treated the same way that a plaster pool is treated. That means not adding salt for the first 30 days.

Thanks for this advice. The contractor wants to add salt and start the generator after a super chlorination (using powdered CYA mixed in a bucket and thrown into the pool with no pump or filter running).
I am insisting on using liquid chlorine at first.....am I right??

OK YIKES.
MY contrator refuses to use the liquid bleach chlorine (says it is only for clothes). Is putting granular Trichloroisocyanuric acid 90% into a bucket and wanting to throw it into the pool by the main drain and will then start the pumps (the pool level is not up to the skimmer yet). I understand that this is the same stuff as pool pucks (am I correct??)....if so a little won't hurt....and I am making sure it is dissolved. I will add the liquid chlorine when he goes away. The water is starting to turn a lovely lime green colour so I guess the algae and bacteria are flourishing in this lovely hot sun.
Had to drain the first batch of water as it was more suitable for something that flushes.

My next fight is to stop him from throwing in the salt tomorrow and starting the chlorine generator... ...right???
thanks
rick

Fresh plaster/grout is normally given two days before you start adding either chlorine or CYA (both of which are in trichlor). After that it is common to start with trichlor because everything it does is something you want. Trichlor adds chlorine and CYA, both of which you want, and it lowers the PH, which is usually needed in a new pool.

I'd say wait 30 days before adding the salt and firing up the SWCG! I don't understand the chemistry behind it, but salt and fresh plaster or grout aren't a good combination :(

Use your liquid chlorine for the first 4 weeks, then add the salt and let your SWCG do the chlorinating for you. In the meantime, get in and enjoy your beautiful pool!!! :cool:

ok ....thanks....I will not worry about the triclor. The pool is now full, and the filter running. I cannot convince the contractor to bypass the swg. But the good news is that I scared him enough that he is bringing in a large pool company expert today. So I can talk to him. Otherwise....he has the bags of salt ready (lots of them)....and is eager to begin adding. ps. sorry...i can't find this quickly....how much salt for 55,000 litres??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should measure your starting salt level, before adding salt. It probably isn't very high, but it won't be zero. You can use the Pool Calculator to make calculations like this one, see the link in my signature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.