Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In the bid process

1. Back To Top    #1

In the bid process

I just had the most exasperating experience.

I submitted a proposal to bid with 5 different companies. The proposal was complete down to a tee. I just had the last company's "designer" insist on a sit-down meeting (second one, had one with the builder when I submitted the proposal and he took notes to clarify his understanding) and just finished that second meeting, and it was nothing but fluff! nothing to add, just wanted to meet and discuss aesthetics and make suggestions for completely changing my design to HIS tastes. He could have handed me the quote never having talked to me. GRRRRR I do not like having my time wasted with BS.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: In the bid process

Not everyone is gifted in listening.
    Not everyone is humble.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Not everyone is gifted in listening.
    Not everyone is humble.

Scott
    I listened politely to every word he said. I even liked his design. I said so. It was not what I wanted though, and he didnt like hearing that. He wanted to build a free-form pool, when I wanted a 20X30 rectangle. Its my money and my pool. I spent about 10 hours this week out of my schedule getting the pool quotes. Another couple of hours listening to him tell me "rectangles are bad, they are more expensive to build, and have bad feng shui" and I would have killed him. I mean he could have at least been observant enough to see my home and decor are built along rectilinear lines, and a free-form pool wouldnt have gone. Not to mention him sittting in my rectilinear home and rectilinear decor and indirectly telling me its ugly. I realize not everyone has my tastes, but I dont go around insulting theirs just because its not like mine... have some respect!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

4. Back To Top    #4

It's your pool and your money! The PB should respect your wishes and comply with them (as long as your wishes are reasonable )

Good luck with the next bid
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

He also insisted that ozone treatment had residual orp and cl was horrible horrible stuff. At that point I just pasted on my polite face and endured the rest of the visit.