Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: fas-dpd test

1. Back To Top    #1

fas-dpd test

I've been using this test for a while but since I've started shocking the pool I'm getting odd results with the test. It normally goes completely clear when adding the drops but the last few times I've tried it never gets clear no matter how many drops I put in it. I've also had to add about 2 scoops to get the sample to turn pink but I think I read on here that thats not uncommon. Has anyone ever had this happen? FC should be about 30. CYA is 70. Could water temp affect it or am I doing something wrong?
    11000 gal 12x24 inground. Vinyl with 1hp pump and sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: fas-dpd test

How much chlorine have you added recently? From the sounds of it, your FC is really high

Try using 5ml of pool water and 5ml of bottled water and then count each drop as 1ppm...see if that gets you there
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Not uncommon to have to add two scoops. Are you using the 10 ml sample? 60 drops to clear would equal 30 ppm. Did you stop at 60 drops? It may be higher than you think.

4. Back To Top    #4

I've been trying to maintain a FC level of 30 for the past 2 days to shock. I have only added a little here and there as it has not lost much. I'm having to guess a little because I can't read the test correctly. Its gets almost clear and just stays there. I used the pool calculator and a large measuring cup to add the bleach so I don't think I overshot it but I could be wrong!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes I am using the 10ml sample and I dont remeber where I stopped at like 75 or something but there was no change after about 52 drops. I've done the test for months and have never seen it do this before its usually a definate change to clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

My guess is that your FC is so high that although you may be clearing it with the drops, it may be reverting back to a light pink shade so quickly that you cannot notice it. Any sample that has enough drops the clear will go back to pink again if left standing. I think that this may be happening, albeit much faster than usual, because your FC is so high. This is just a theory but I am going to see what others say.

7. Back To Top    #7

Are you using a SpeedStir or mixing by hand?

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm mixing by hand. That is a possibility of the sample changing faster than I can tell or at least that would make some sense.

9. Back To Top    #9

Why are you shocking? It could be interference from CCs. How long are you waiting in between drops?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

Shocking because the water has remained a little cloudy and I saw what appeared to be some algae growing in several spots. When testing I usually stir by hand for about 2 seconds maybe then add another drop and repeat.

11. Back To Top    #11

When your FC level is very high, you need to move along a bit more quickly for the first segment of the FC test. As long as the sample remains a solid dark pink you want to be adding drops at the rate of about one per second, or just a little faster. Then you can slow down when the pink starts getting lighter so you don't miss the endpoint.

Another way to help make the FC/CC test easier at extremely high FC levels is to mix equal parts of pool water and chlorine free water (typically distilled water) together and then test that. When done this way each drop counts as 1.0 ppm of FC or CC. That halves the number of drops you need to use.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the help guys. The faster stirring and adding of drops did the trick! Thanks again!