Pool about to overflow from heavy rain

Jul 1, 2010
Orange County, NY
What is the fastest and preferably the easiest way to drain water from my above ground pool? We are in the midst of a heavy rain and my water level is nearing the top of the pool. My skimmer and return face the house (Pool is only about 6 feet away) so I can't open either of those. A quick reply would be appreciated.

I was just about to post a similar question, but mine is an inground pool. I can drain from the drain port on my filter, so that's not an issue (although my yard will be flooded!!), but my bigger concern is whether or not there is any issue with the pool water overflowing the edge like it is about to. Is there any issue with chemical loss or anything like that due to an overflowing pool?

dunno of this works, but try this:
put one end of a hose in the pool, the other in a lower part of the garden.
Now you need to suck on the hose (the side outside the pool) untill water starts running, normaly, the water will drain. i'm not sure if this is fast enough though.

Boeie said:
dunno of this works, but try this:

Now you need to suck on the hose (the side outside the pool) untill water starts running, normaly, the water will drain. i'm not sure if this is fast enough though.

OMG, now i know what I was doing wrong all this time.. I been sucking from inside the pool. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

for an agp, your best solution would be to siphon using your vacum hose. You be able to siphon much more water this way.

submerge the entire hose under water with vacum head attached on one end, then close the other end with your hand, pull it over your pool wall and let it drain....just keep an eye on it because it should drain pretty fast :goodjob:

dmanb2b said:
for an agp, your best solution would be to siphon using your vacum hose. You be able to siphon much more water this way.

submerge the entire hose under water with vacum head attached on one end, then close the other end with your hand, pull it over your pool wall and let it drain....just keep an eye on it because it should drain pretty fast :goodjob:

:goodjob:

What dman said!

I don't know why I am so intimidated by this pool??? The vac hose worked like a charm and was hanging on my wall the whole time I was watching the small amount of water leave the garden hose! You would never know I do all my own home repairs including appliances and yet I am scared to death of the big bucket of water in my backyard...

Again, Thank you for your responses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know this is a little late for a reply but I also own an above ground pool and when I find myself in this situation, I turn the filter to the "waste" setting and let it do all the work. It lowers the lever QUICKLY and waters the grass at the same time.... :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.