Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE filter pressure never raise?

1. Back To Top    #1

DE filter pressure never raise?

It has been a few months since I replace my DE. BTW, my DE filter does not have
    the back wash port. I have to open it up to clean it.

The water is crystal clear as usual. But I never saw the DE filter pressure raise.
    It is always a little more than 10 PSI. Makes me wonder if the DE filter is broken.

When I open the DE filter, the screen looks fine. There is some wear at the spot
    where connect the screen to the main filter slot. How can I find out if the filter
    has some leaking on the screen?

I don't have much stuff in the pool to filter. I usually can wait a month before
    I need to clean the screening filter inside the pump. Sorry I forget what it was
    call. It is the mechanical one built in with the pump, on the input side. Looks like
    a mini skimmer.

I use the net to pick leave from the pool almost every day, usually after I roll up
    the solar blanket.
    15x32 vinyl, IG,17K gal, DE filter, Hayward 3/4 HP pump, Hayward Ultra Vac, Solar cover with reel
    SportCount LapCounter, FINIS SwiMP3.1G
    Enjoying my pool thanks to TFP.com

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE filter pressure never raise?

If the water coming from the return into the pool feels as strong as it usually does then your filter is probably o.k. You said there is not much for the filter to filter out each day, so it may be a good while until you get enough dirt accumulation in the filter to require cleaning. Usually my pressure will be steady for a long time and then start to rise over a couple of days and the return flow drops. That is when I know its time to clean the filter.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you trust the gauge? Either you have a clean filter or a bad gauge.

If you had a bad screen, you'd know it. There'd be fine silt, in drifts most likely, all over the bottom of the pool. And cloudy water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I only ever need to Bump mine every few weeks, but I have a lot of trees around my pool.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

5. Back To Top    #5

If you want to test to see if the grids are letting stuff pass, dump ~ 1/2 lb of DE into the skimmer and watch the returns to see if the water comes out cloudy
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes. Water return is very strong.
    15x32 vinyl, IG,17K gal, DE filter, Hayward 3/4 HP pump, Hayward Ultra Vac, Solar cover with reel

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Do you trust the gauge? Either you have a clean filter or a bad gauge.

If you had a bad screen, you'd know it. There'd be fine silt, in drifts most likely, all over the bottom of the pool. And cloudy water.
    If I block the return, by using a jet return or some thing. The gauge reading will raise.
    It is just not raise by DE filter along. So I guess the gauge can measure higher readings.
    I haven't seen the fine silt in the pool. The pool seems perfect otherwise.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    If you want to test to see if the grids are letting stuff pass, dump ~ 1/2 lb of DE into the skimmer and watch the returns to see if the water comes out cloudy
    Good idea. I will try that. Will the extra DE cause problem for the filter?

9. Back To Top    #9

It will cause your pressure to rise faster if you overload your filter with DE. I think everything is fine and you can just enjoy your pool!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ssa
    Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Good idea. I will try that. Will the extra DE cause problem for the filter?
    The extra 1/2 lb won't cause problems You've already said that you break the unit down for a good manual cleaning on occasion, this small amount of extra DE is just for testing purposes.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    I think everything is fine and you can just enjoy your pool!
    +1, one of the great side affects of properly applied BBB