Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: plaster is old

1. Back To Top    #1

plaster is old

need to replaster my pool have been told it will run about 5000 dollars any alternative suggestions

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: plaster is old

If by alternative, you mean cheaper, no. Plaster has a finite lifespan, and when it reaches the end, it's gotta be resurfaced. Some people paint their pools or apply fiberglass, but those are not good choices, even if they are cheaper upfront.

That being said, how does your plaster look? It may have some life left in it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

no it looks pretty bad can see concrete in places

4. Back To Top    #4

That means that you have got every bit of life (and then some!) out of the plaster job. It is time to re-do it. I don't know how big your pool is (or if you have a spa also), but that price sounds right about where it should be. I would assume that includes draining, prepping, replastering and initial startup, correct?

It sounds like a lot of money, but it is also a lot of work. Get a good quality plaster company to do the job (do not go with the low bid!) and you will not have to do this again for at least another 10 years if you take good care of it!