Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cya question

1. Back To Top    #1

cya question

I add water almost every other day because of all this hot weather. I can't get my cya up. I put in the recommended amount wait a week and it either stays the same or drops.

It does not drop below 50 and I am holding fc steady at 3.5ppm. Is it because of adding so much water?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cya question

Are you sure you don't have a leak? How much water are you losing? No amount of evaporation would cause a loss of CYA, but a leak sure would....
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I do not see any signs of a leak anywhere. The weather has been in the high 90s and a few days of 100 plus degrees. My pool is in direct sun,no shade so we have been getting a lot of evaporation and adding new water.

I get my cya from ace hardware and it says its 96%. How would you know if you had a leak underground?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Does your pool drop more than 1/2" every day?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, durning this heatwave it does.

6. Back To Top    #6

There is a test for leaking. It's called a 'bucket test', and it's as simple as placing a bucket of water on a step or something so that the top of the bucket is out of the water. Mark the level of the water inside the bucket with a permanent marker. Then mark the level of the pool water on the outside of the bucket. Check back later. If both levels drop the same amount, it's due to evaporation. If the pool drops further, you have a leak.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    Mark the level of the water inside the bucket with a permanent marker.
    Or a pencil!
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

If your daily loss is like you say, do the bucket test and confirm that you have a leak in your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School