Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: %#@& Pump Motor

1. Back To Top    #1

%#@& Pump Motor

Jacuzzi branded Emerson 1.5hp motor.
    Put the power to it...buzzzzz, 20A breaker trips.
    Put the power to it and spin the shaft with a screwdriver in the slot at the back...Runs fine.
    ***?
    Stupid Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: %#@& Pump Motor

Run capacitor?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like a bad/shorted start capacitor.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Fixable?
    Stupid Pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Does kinda sound like an open start cap. They are not difficult, once you get access to it. I don't readily know the layout of an emerson pump motor w/ run cap, think you could grab a couple of good-sized photos of the motor and the nameplate?
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

6. Back To Top    #6

Here ya go.
    Thanks!

Stupid Pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Well.... I may have to defer to some of the pump guys on this one. I believe that is an Emerson EB229 motor, like a 56J, or C, but I cannot be certain 'cause Jacuzzi may have some odd spec for their OEM.
    It doesn't appear to have a cap at the motor. Without a start cap, that kinda leaves start windings and/or a speed switch.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

8. Back To Top    #8

One thing I noticed is all the gunk around the motor and between the motor and pump. You may want to start with giving the motor a real good cleaning. This debris can cause drag on the motor as well as lead to overheating issues with the motor. Get as much of that garbage out of there as you can. Turn the power off and use a screwdriver, compressed air, coat hanger, or whatever else works to clean between the pump and motor. While you're in there, you may want to blow out the windings with compressed air or a specialty product like cable clean or contact cleaner. After that's done give the motor a spin by hand see if you can feel any resistance or hear any noises. If not, turn on the power (unless you used a specialty product to clean the windings, then give it time to dry) and see if you have the same results.

My method does not negate the possibility of mechanical or electrical damage, but it does take one thing off the list of possibilities. This would not be the first time I've seen a gunked up motor act as if it were bad. And, who knows, you may even save a little money with just a thorough cleaning. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
    18'x24' (10,000 gal) above ground pool, 19" Proline sand filter (45 GPM), Jacuzzi 1.5 HP 2 speed pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Note to self...keep pumping equipment clean so as not to look like moron on TFP.

Cleaned her up, plugged her in... runs fine.

Thank you.
    Stupid Pool

10. Back To Top    #10

Glad to hear you got it running. Good job.
    18'x24' (10,000 gal) above ground pool, 19" Proline sand filter (45 GPM), Jacuzzi 1.5 HP 2 speed pump

11. Back To Top    #11

I was trying to figure out a diplomatic way to say all that! Lol...
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Note to self...keep pumping equipment clean so as not to look like moron on TFP.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com