Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cheap pool vacuum

1. Back To Top    #1

Cheap pool vacuum

I purchased a 12'x30" Intex AG pool. I'm doing basic testing (FC and pH). I want to vacuum it but don't want to spend $60 on an Intex pool vacuum because it would cost more than the pool itself.

There isn't a ton of stuff to vacuum. Can't I just hook up a longer hose the filter/pump and use my pump as a makeshift vacuum?
    12'x30" Intex AG 1,485g pool, w/530gph cartidge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Cheap pool vacuum

I suppose that you could do that. That idea is about the only thing cheaper than the Intex vac.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, I'm cheap.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

and resourceful! I hope it works for you.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

New Jersey

I had the 18'x 48" for a while. I did exactly what you describe. However, for fine dust I found the crappy Intex paper filters let it blow right back into the pool. I had to pull the return and vacuum to waste (driveway) to get it clean.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have nothing to compare it to, but I really like my AquaBroom. For really fine stuff, line the bag with a knee high nylon. I think it was about $40. I'm on season two with no complaints.

editing to add: One of the tips I read on this site is great - on your way out of the pool, walk around the edge a few times to create a whirlpool. Five to ten minutes after you get out, all the little junk will have settled into a nice pile in the middle of the bottom of the pool, making vacuuming very quick.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks for all your help. I ended up getting 10ft of tubing from Lowe's and was going to hook it up to the pump/filter. Then I figured I'd just use it as a siphon and it worked. I put on my dive mask and spent about 15 minutes siphoning-up the debris. Worked great for me. Of course, I lost about 30 gallons of water since I let it pour on the ground. I don't have grass there (only weeds =)) so I really didn't care.

Sorry to all the conservationists out there!

But, thanks for the responses!