Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone know what's in Leslie's Ultra Bright...

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone know what's in Leslie's Ultra Bright...

...and if there's any downside to using it?

I have a half gallon left over from the previous owner. I already have clear water from doing things the right way, and I know the BBB experts say clarifier's really not needed, but I still want to throw this stuff in a little at a time if it won't hurt anything.

But there aren't any ingredients on the bottle, nor have I found any online to this point...

Thanks
    32 x 16 20,000 gallon inground vinyl. Pool Genie filter. BBB seems to be working well so far despite high CYA. Aquabot Turbo T which I adore.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone know what's in Leslie's Ultra Bright...

Why not keep it? You never know when a hurricane will dump a ton of water on you and kill the power and you end up having to clear a pool in distress. You might be able to use that clarifier then.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

What kind of shelf life does it have?
    32 x 16 20,000 gallon inground vinyl. Pool Genie filter. BBB seems to be working well so far despite high CYA. Aquabot Turbo T which I adore.

4. Back To Top    #4

It will last several years if you keep it from freezing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

So, what is in it? Still unanswered.

(on a related note, I'd love to see a section that defines what is in these products that people mention. Which tabs have copper, what products are mostly baking soda or washing soda or whatever)
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

I found links to some site that apparently was unauthorized Leslie's MSDS's, but it's gone...

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ElkPool
    I found links to some site that apparently was unauthorized Leslie's MSDS's, but it's gone...
    LOL it's like CIA and all top secret. Kinda makes u wonder...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Like most clarifiers, it's probably a cationic (positively charged) polymer.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

Chem geek is right. Here is what it says on the MSDS:
    Issue Date: 10/03/2007
    Product Name: Ultra Bright
    Chemical Name: Cationic Polyamide in water
    Chemical Family: Cationic polymer
    Chemical Formula: Proprietary
    MSDS Number: 298

2. Composition/Information On Ingredients
    Ingredient PolydimethyldiallyammoniumChloride
    CAS Number 26062-79-3
    Percent Of Total Weight

Leslie's MSDS link is at the bottom of their website. Here is the link:

http://www.lesliesmsds.com/MSDSSearch.aspx?fm=0&tb=0
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

10. Back To Top    #10

I think it's just this re-labeled
    [attachment=0:zl2j58gp]snakeoil.jpg[/attachment:zl2j58gp]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

haha

12. Back To Top    #12

snakeoil picture..hehehe love it!
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

13. Back To Top    #13

I bought a few bottles of this, it suposed to clump together very small particles into larger groups so that the filter can get it all. I have used it once and at night my pool light beam reflects nothing (no beam in water) and without wind disturbing the surface the water is soo clear I can see to the bottom of the 8 foot deep end and I cannot see the surface! all i see is the bottom!
    Now the question is...Is this thanks to the clarifyer or not, well being as I didn't look in the pool like this before I used the Ultra Bright I don't have a "control" in this test.

I got a great price and if I see the beam at night I'll treat the pool.
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

14. Back To Top    #14

Clarifier's aren't nessecerlily snake oil. They can work and do have their uses. I've used it on occassion during pollen season and it worked like a charm. I do think you can overdose and get cloudy water for a period of time, though it will clear up.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by civicturbo
    I bought a few bottles of this, it suposed to clump together larger particles so that the filter can get it all. I have used it once and at night my pool light beam reflects nothing (no beam in water) and without wind disturbing the surface the water is soo clear I can see to the bottom of the 8 foot deep end and I cannot see the surface! all i see is the bottom!
    Now the question is...Is this thanks to the clarifyer or not, well being as I didn't look in the pool like this before I don't have a "control" in this test.
    If you are using DE filtration you don't need it as DE catches even the very small parts beyond which you won't see them anyway.
    Sell it on is my advice.