Thread: Help - Chlorine being used up - Harsh Cl Smell

1. Back To Top    #1

Help - Chlorine being used up - Harsh Cl Smell

FC = 10 ppm
    pH = 8.0
    CYA = 35
    TA = 90
    CA = 170

Everything was going well then the Cl dropped to 0 on Monday.
    Tues added 8 ppm Cl
    Wed 1 ppm Cl, pH 7.8
    Thru eve add 10 ppm Cl and 300 ml muriatic (37%)
    Fri morn still 10 Cl but pH is now 8.0
    And, now the pool has a sharp Cl odor, not the usual Cl-type smell - more pungent.

Test reagents checked ok

Thanks for any advice

25,000 gal
    vinyl
    AGP partially buried, with surrounding deck and flower bed. 12 x 24 oval x 48" deep Celebration by Forum. Steel sides, vinyl liner. Hayward 2 HP sand pump. Flower fountain - works well to cool water up to 10 degrees.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help - Chlorine being used up - Harsh Cl Smell

Got a CC test?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

Anona, I think SBax does have a CC test...in the form of smell.

Whatever used up your FC has taken hold and you should shock (process link in my signature) to get ahead of it so you can start holding FC again and get rid of those CCs (and that smell). Of course an FAS/DPD test that allows you to test FC up to shock levels and CC is really the way to go.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Use as much muriatic acid as it itakes to get your pH down around 7.2-7.4 and then shock the pool according to the procedure in pool school. That will clear your pool and get rid of the smell.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

With your CYA of 35, your shock level is an FC of 14.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks a lot. I suspected this.

But, oh no. I have a big pool party tomorrow. Cannot shock.
    Does this increase the possibility of eye irritation? Anything else I should worry about?

Big thanks.
    AGP partially buried, with surrounding deck and flower bed. 12 x 24 oval x 48" deep Celebration by Forum. Steel sides, vinyl liner. Hayward 2 HP sand pump. Flower fountain - works well to cool water up to 10 degrees.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok. I have a chloramine problem. Last weekend the pool had very high usage which may have been the start. Another problem may be I actually test for Total Chlorine (TC) not FC.

8. Back To Top    #8

High CC does increase the chance of eye irritation as does your high pH.

9. Back To Top    #9

Swimming up to shock level is ok from what I have read on here.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

OK thanks. Problem is I can only measure TC.

I have an idea:
    1) Adjust pool pH to 7.5
    2) Bring water to pool store and check FC.
    3) Measure same sample with my TC too. This will give me FC, CC, TC
    4) Calculate and raise FC to 15 ppm with fresh bleach.
    5) Check TC right away and subtract the CC reading from the pool store. Maintain this TC level all night.

Am I on the right track?

11. Back To Top    #11

Came home to absolutely no chloramine smell. None at all. 12+ hours of sun.

Bought a new test kit.
    pH = 7.5
    TC = 5.0

My usual method titrates at 3.5 TC.

Pool store says
    pH = 7.4
    FC = 4.0
    CC = 0

So, I'm relaxing and confused but not worried.

12. Back To Top    #12

Great, now run that FC up to the top of the range right as the party is about to start, or rather an hour before. With CYA 35 that's be shock at FC 14. Let the party begin there and trust that all the action, the dirty feet, the sweat, and so on will take that down pretty quickly. Take a quick test if you can during the party or at least right after. Run the FC back up to 14 after the party as you close it down for the night and let the pump run a bit longer than normal.

If it is a day long thing, with lots of kids or babies or dogs, then you will probably want to check after 4 or 5 hours and if FC looks like it might get below 3 before the party is done you may want to blow a whistle and clear the pool for a quick addition of chlorine plus a 30 min sit out time.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

13. Back To Top    #13

By far the best thing to do is to get a test kit that can actually measure FC and CC. Pool store test results are sometimes fine, sometimes wildly off, so you really can't depend on them. Also, CC can change when you add chlorine, either higher or lower, so you can't assume that it remains the same.

Chlorine plus sunlight gets rid of CC. So it isn't surprising that the smell is gone. As long as you maintain the correct FC level, you will be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Great, now run that FC up to the top of the range right as the party is about to start, or rather an hour before. With CYA 35 that's be shock at FC 14. Let the party begin there and trust that all the action, the dirty feet, the sweat, and so on will take that down pretty quickly. Take a quick test if you can during the party or at least right after. Run the FC back up to 14 after the party as you close it down for the night and let the pump run a bit longer than normal.
    I'm doing that. Still no cloramine smell. pH 7.6. Thanks Jason and everyone.