Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Possible causes for cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Possible causes for cloudy water

Yesterday my step son and grand-son had a pool party at my home. When I came home that afternoon, I noticed that the water was slightly cloudy. I checked the pH and chlorine levels (7.45 pH, 4.8 FC, 1. CC) and there were right where they should be. I also checked the FC the following morning (over night FC drop test) and the reading in the morning was 4.5 FC. So an overnight drop of 0.3 ppm implies little or no organics. Other test reads (from various previous test):
    TA 50
    CH 280
    CYA 70
    Borates 30
    Temp 90F

I have noticed in the past when this occurs, the cloudiness usually disappears in a day or two. Any ideas on the cause and solution?
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Possible causes for cloudy water

Your CC is 1 and that indicates a need to shock your pool. Any CC >0.5 means that you should shock.

3. Back To Top    #3

is the 1. a typo and should read .1? If so, I would just bump up the chlorine a little above normal and give it a day or so to see.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    is the 1. a typo and should read .1? If so, I would just bump up the chlorine a little above normal and give it a day or so to see.
    That's possible too, although I don't see how you could read anything less than 0.2 on a FAS-DPD. Assuming that it is 0.1, your suggestion to bump the FC would be good. I typically bump the FC a couple of ppm before parties for the oxidation boost and then give it some filter time.

5. Back To Top    #5

It is a typo, the CC is 0.1 ppm. I use a Hach chlorine colorimeter. Sorry for the late reply, grandson and company were over all weekend. Saturday morning I purchase a bottle of poly-quat algecide which I was using last year. It is suppose to have flocculating properties in addition to being an algeacide. By Sunday morning the water was clear. Still do not have a reason for the cloudly water.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

6. Back To Top    #6

The water can get a little cloudy after a lot of people have been in the pool. Stuff on the bottom can get stirred up, swimmer waste is being oxidized, etc. It usually clears by the next day.

BTW, the algecide is really not needed.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have thought about bottom sediment being stirred up, however I have a suction side pool cleaner that resides in the pool most of the time when nobody is using the pool. So any bottom sediment is going to be sent to the filter.

I'm think suspended skin oils, skin flakes etc. Also dissolved air bubbles (very small bubbles) etc.