Possible causes for cloudy water

dschlic1

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2007
Valrico, FL
Yesterday my step son and grand-son had a pool party at my home. When I came home that afternoon, I noticed that the water was slightly cloudy. I checked the pH and chlorine levels (7.45 pH, 4.8 FC, 1. CC) and there were right where they should be. I also checked the FC the following morning (over night FC drop test) and the reading in the morning was 4.5 FC. So an overnight drop of 0.3 ppm implies little or no organics. Other test reads (from various previous test):
TA 50
CH 280
CYA 70
Borates 30
Temp 90F

I have noticed in the past when this occurs, the cloudiness usually disappears in a day or two. Any ideas on the cause and solution?

Melt In The Sun said:
is the 1. a typo and should read .1? If so, I would just bump up the chlorine a little above normal and give it a day or so to see.

That's possible too, although I don't see how you could read anything less than 0.2 on a FAS-DPD. Assuming that it is 0.1, your suggestion to bump the FC would be good. I typically bump the FC a couple of ppm before parties for the oxidation boost and then give it some filter time.

It is a typo, the CC is 0.1 ppm. I use a Hach chlorine colorimeter. Sorry for the late reply, grandson and company were over all weekend. Saturday morning I purchase a bottle of poly-quat algecide which I was using last year. It is suppose to have flocculating properties in addition to being an algeacide. By Sunday morning the water was clear. Still do not have a reason for the cloudly water.

I have thought about bottom sediment being stirred up, however I have a suction side pool cleaner that resides in the pool most of the time when nobody is using the pool. So any bottom sediment is going to be sent to the filter.

I'm think suspended skin oils, skin flakes etc. Also dissolved air bubbles (very small bubbles) etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.