Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recurring metal stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Recurring metal stains

Here's the cycle I've been in this year....

Notice metal stains, reduce chlorine, apply ascorbic acid treatment, shock (pool store chems) to get chlorine back up, notice metal stains, reduce chlorine, ascorbic acid, Pool store shock, etc.....

What I've done: after last AA treatment, added Jack's Purple Stuff as sequestering agent; decided pool store shock might be culprit; committed to BBB, TF Test Kit analysis, TFP "How to Shock Your Pool" methodology.... having completed shock using TFP recommended steps, this morning I notice..... STAINS! I really don't want to continue this cycle. Any ideas?

Current chemical analysis:

FC - 21 (sustained shock level...expect that to come down in sun )
    CC - .5
    Ph - 7.5
    TA - 100 (down from 190)
    CH - 410 (down from 800+)
    CYA - 80
    Borates - 50

Thanks!
    17,000 gal fiberglass. 1.5hp pump, Pentair 60 sf DE filter and Pentair IC-20 SWG, TF Test Kit, BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recurring metal stains

The sequestering agent doesn't last forever. You probably need a new dose around monthly.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I've actually added, per Jack's instructions, weekly....
    17,000 gal fiberglass. 1.5hp pump, Pentair 60 sf DE filter and Pentair IC-20 SWG, TF Test Kit, BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

Stains return if you aren't using enough sequestrant. Any time the stains return, you should increase the amount of sequestrant you use in the next cycle.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Will the sequestrants affect any of my other readings?
    Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Most sequestrants lower the PH when they are added, some do this more than others. Some consume chlorine for a day or two, how much varies. Once they have been in the water for a while they shouldn't affect the readings.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School