Newbie Pool owner's numbers

CyclingCraig

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2010
Central, New Jersey
Hi all

First some background:

I've been lurking for a little less than 2 weeks, I just closed on my house that has a pool. I NEVER had a pool before and we didn't really want one when looking for a home, but now we LOVE it after only a week.

Found this site and have been reading posts like crazy and took some good advice. (Since I got so much good advice already, I didn't want to post without at least becoming a supporter :) )

I already have my k-2006 test kit :) and getting used to using it.

Pool Stats:
In-Ground vinyl
20' x 40' rectangle
3.5 foot shallow end, 8.5 foot deep end.
Filter hayward 46SqFt DE (Brand new - 2 days old)
Chlorine pool

My numbers:
FC: 6.4
CC: 0.2
PH: ~ 7.1
TA: 130
CH: 80
CYA: 75 - 80

So I know I have to get my PH and Calcium Hardness up. Does it matter which I attack first?

I was thinking of fixing the PH then working on the Calcium?

My CYA and TA would have been better (A little lower) if I didn't let the guys who install the new DE filter check the pool and make adjustments. I think they overdid it just a little. But I don't think it's too bad?

Suggestions :)

-Craig

Welcome to TFP!

You didn't say what kind of pool you have. Pools with vinyl liners don't need CH, while others do. When you have a chance, add your pool specs to your signature.

You should raise the PH first, and then wait several hours before starting to raise the CH level.

It isn't really worth testing FC & CC by 0.2s. It uses more reagent, so you run out more quickly, and the added precision isn't especially useful.

Hiya, Craig!

Sounds like you're off to a good start. CH doesn't matter much in your pool, as you've just learned already. pH is a little low, but I'm sure with some aeration you can get that up and lower TA at the same time, with no chemicals needed!

How's the water look? If it's clear, you can manage with that high CYA. I have worse, but it is a strong motivator to keep on top of things when you know shocking is not an option!

Just keep the FC up and devote yourself to playing with aiming the jets, adjusting the balance in the skimmer/floor drain (if you have one) and the not-so-fun brushing and vacuuming. You can obsess and micromanage the water later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.